Friday, February 27, 2015

13 Year Old Me's Writer Kit

I was trying to find a picture of 13 year old me. HAHA!!! I lucked out and couldn't find one. ;) Besides. I had poodle hair. You don't need to see that. Ever.

Well, dear ones, this was a really strange week. Not at all what I pictured. An announcement that fell flatter than a frisbee, sick kiddos, a work trip to Chicago, and a trip down memory lane to my first book, and you know what was the coolest part? YOU! One of my writing sisters reminded me of how blessed I am, to be surrounded by readers who really care about me, and pray for me. Do you know how special that is? It's CRAZY special. Really. So thank you, for all the encouragement this week. I'm going out of this week with JOY.

But before I go, I want to give away a writer's kit that 13 year old me would've put together if you'd told me you needed something to get YOUR writing career started.



  • Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly. This is a must in any 13 yr old's repertoire of read material. It was the first inspirational fiction novel I ever read. Every library should have one. You need one too. (your choice paperback or e-book)
  • Coffee. Because even at 13 it was a standard in my life.
  • Popcorn. Every kid needs popcorn to write with.
  • Peppermints, because it was the only candy my health conscious parents had in the house (you do what you have to, I guess)
  • A notepad was my go-to. I wrote my first novel on a vintage typewriter from 1930, so it wasn't exactly portable, you know?
  • And colored pens, because life just isn't life with out them!
Okey dokey, everyone!! Have a stupendous weekend and Choose Joy because Jesus Chose YOU!

RANDOM RAFFLECOPTER WINNER of Dani Pettrey's book: LAURIE TOMLINSON


a Rafflecopter giveaway



_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me OnlineSign up for my NEWSLETTER
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

32 comments:

  1. HAPPY FRIDAY Jaime! I'm so excited to see the amazing plans the Lord has for you unfold in the days ahead. You make my life more fun by being in it! Thank you for sharing your journey. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a super fun week! Looking forward to hearing your play button has been pushed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to push "play" too, but until then, this week wasn't half bad!

      Delete
    2. This week's been great (said in Tony the tigers voice)!

      Delete
  3. I'm signing up because my writer daughters would LOVE to win! Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and whoops--didn't comment but one story I'd like to write is one for my kids. I'm actually nearing the finish line on that one--a fantasy fairy-tale retelling.

      Delete
    2. OOOOOO Sounds way cool!!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this!! If I started a novel, it would be about a girl who moved away from her best friend (a guy), they lost touch, and reconnected years later. Obviously, it needs a lot of work just on the idea but you have the basic idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds romantic and lovely, Nicki!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Cute post, Jaime! I'd give my 13 year old self a Bible and tell her to read it all because she'll need it, I'd tell her to keep typing on her sister's manual typewriter because she'd need those keyboard skills, and I'd give her a pair of tennis shoes (and explain what they were because they'd look so weird) and then I'd tell her to go see lots of places to write about and talk to lots of lots of people--especially the interesting ones like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm obviously not a writer but it would have to be something for my grandchildren or about my journey through breast cancer.
    I've got a quirky iPad and I've visited your Facebook page twice and still can't get credit for that.
    Nicki Olsen, I've read a book similar to your idea a few months ago. Can't remember the title or author. The guy was whisked away without a word to anyone. No one knew what happened to him. He was secretly in a protective custody arrangement. He came back years later and he and his childhood friend reconnected. She worked in a hair salon and had a daughter and divorced in the meantime. Interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I believe your story would inspire many!!!

      Delete
  7. Love this! I don't know how you do it, but you make us all love you to death even though we don't know each other in person. :) Gotta be the selfies. Happy week of Joy to you! I would probably write a book about teen angst when I was 13. Or farm life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to write a story about old Plantation homes involving runaway slaves and the Underground railroad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you were one of the best things about my first ACFW conference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cute pic of you, Jaime!!

    The subject of my novel would probably be a character based on my own life - my troubled years of wandering from God, my trials, how He has provided and cared for me my entire life, my happiness in following Him now.

    Thanks for just being you, Jaime - love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have coffee with you someday and hear your story!

      Delete
  11. Great article, Jamie. I would probably write about city girl moving to country and horses. My life now and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My novel would probably be based on my own life, 'cause I don't have a lot of imagination, ha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A legal thriller...Wait! That's the proposal I'm working on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny that you should ask the topic of a novel if I would start today. While sitting in church this evening, I was observing the teenagers and who was sitting with who and who was looking at who and an idea popped into my head!

    It goes something like Guy A and Guy B both like Girl A. Girl A goes after Guy B, leaving Guy A quite down. Girl B has always like Guy B, but is down because he likes Girl A. Girl B feels sorry for Guy A because he is ignored. They start a friendship, then Girl A dumps Guy B. Does Girl B go after Guy B now that he is free or pursue a relationship with Guy A?

    Phew I wore myself out writing that down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)