Thursday, January 15, 2015

TBT Old Bedlam


A few years ago, I was blessed to be able to travel through Wyoming and visit Fort Laramie. One of the most recognizable buildings on the property is this two-story white building known as "Old Bedlam" 

The name is thought to have come from the period when the building was used as the B.O.Q. or Bachelor Officer Quarters. Evidently revelry and partying were a nightly event. :)


This is a picture of one of the restored rooms in Old Bedlam. One could almost hear the thud of boots on the stairs, the shouts, the bugle calls. 

The military took over Ft. Laramie from the American Fur Company in 1849, and Old Bedlam was one of the first buildings constructed. The fort closed in 1890 and fell into disrepair until the 1930s when the National Parks Service took over the site and began restorations.

My visit to the fort was spectacular, and I would return in a heartbeat to walk the parade ground and soak in the history.

Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado 
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK


1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, Erica - thanks!! Wyoming is one of the few states I've seen little of.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)