Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday's Devo: You Are My Sunshine

The average days of sunshine in the United States is 200.
In Indiana it's only 177.
And we have almost 30 more days of precipitation than the rest of the country.

It's not uncommon for me to use the phrase: "I'm making my own sunshine."

When it's gray and gloomy outside for days on end, we have to make our own sunshine.


So how do you do that? I'm not implying I pretend it's not gray, or that it doesn't affect me. I think what I'm talking about is letting God shine His glory into the ordinary.

Erica touched on the concept of "ordinary" last week when she talked about the high points of 2014, and mentioned that mostly life is all the "ordinary between all the big moments".

How on earth does God's "glory" get into me or my ordinary days?

I was driving to work last week, while my family was sleeping in at home and enjoying their vacation time without me. I was feeling sorry for myself and my busy to-do list. So I turned on some praise music, tuned in to God's Spirit, and prayed, hoping to dispel my sense of gloom. I could hear the Spirit whispering to me that I'd been keeping track of the little things, making sure everything was "fair". I'd been turning little things into mountains. I remembered the love chapter in I Corinthians 13:5 reminds us not to keep track: Love "does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

Yes, besides the fact that I'd annoyed my husband by putting the hard shell chocolate syrup in the fridge, hardening it the bottle by doing so, I realized he wasn't the only one doing annoying things. I had to laugh at myself a little. Silly girl.

I realized my gloom hadn't come from the dreary weather. 
Rather, I'd been creating it all on my own. 

Yep, my big "it's not you, it's me" moment. Silly girl.

I offered my bad attitude to the Lord. I realized I needed to stop thinking about how I wasn't feeling love, and start loving. On that thought I turned the corner off the highway. Just as I did, the sun tipped over the horizon, only for a moment it would shine so brightly between the earth and clouds.

His glory is like that sometimes--appearing at the opportune moment, between the ordinary and the self. And if we don't pause and take notice, it slips away and we miss it, just like that truth God had revealed in my heart.

I stopped the van, put my hazard lights on and snapped a quick photo to take with me. My reminder of God's glory, His sunshine through the gray. His mysterious way of filling my ordinary.

And as I did that, the radio played Light a Fire in Me by Unspoken. Click the link, listen to the music and offer your ordinary to God for Him to start a fire in you this winter, this year.


-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Represented by Sarah Freese, WordServe Literary

4 comments:

  1. Your comments remind me of something Goober said on the Andy Griffith show ( my favorite show) when he was sporting his beard and speaking deep thoughts that drove everyone crazy. One of his statements was "your weather comes from the inside of you" not anything external.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Gail. Exactly. I love that you remembered that. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful post and the great song, Anne!!

    Love that Goober quote, Gail - yes, I'm afraid we do often create our own bad weather with our selfishness. One of my favorite ways to dispel bad weather and "light a fire" is by listening to praise and worship music - it speaks to me on a deep level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Bonnie. Like medicine. I need it daily.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)