Monday, October 6, 2014

Monday's Devo: The Look

Do you remember getting the stink eye from your parents?
permission from: www.freedigitalphotos.net
Better yet, have you given your child the stink eye?

It's usually best implemented after you've told your child something with instruction, such as "don't touch the stove while it's hot or you'll get burned" or "don't text anything you don't want the whole world to know, because texts are not private."

When my daughter was a toddler and her fingertip blistered where she'd touched the hot wood stove when I wasn't looking, I gave her the look and said, "did you touch the stove?"  Her pained expression told of the fact that she realized too late that I was right.

And when your teenager comes home in tears when her private text message was forwarded to the wrong person, as parents we give them the look. Only, when you love your child, it's not a true "stink eye" full of spite and ugliness, it's full of grace and mercy. It looks into the truth of the matter in love.

Peter got "the look" from Jesus.


After Jesus foretold of Peter's coming denial of him, Peter's rebuttal that he'd never deny Christ was of course then followed by a triple denial.......and Jesus looked at Peter.

What do you suppose Peter saw in that look?

Of course none of us knows for sure, but based on the fact that Peter had been the first to confess Christ among the disciples, walked on the water to Him, welcomed the risen Christ, and then became the point man at Pentecost---I think Jesus' look was one of convicting Truth, followed by mercy and grace when Peter continued to seek Christ's way.

This week Jaime sent back my critiques for the first five chapters of my current manuscript. In large capital print in the right margin are the words--WE NEED MORE EYE-CONTACT to make this come alive!

Jesus is no longer here to give us that eye-contact to make us come alive, but He sent the Holy Spirit in His place. If you've ever felt the Spirit move, you might imagine "the look". Embrace the truth. Peter did, and God built His church on that foundation. Don't miss "the look".....followed by grace and mercy that comes with repentance.

Luke 22:54-62New King James Version (NKJV)
54 Having arrested Him, they led Him and brought Him into the high priest’s house. But Peter followed at a distance. 55 Now when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat among them. 56 And a certain servant girl, seeing him as he sat by the fire, looked intently at him and said, “This man was also with Him.”

57 But he denied Him,[a] saying, “Woman, I do not know Him.”

58 And after a little while another saw him and said, “You also are of them.”

But Peter said, “Man, I am not!”

59 Then after about an hour had passed, another confidently affirmed, saying, “Surely this fellow also was with Him, for he is a Galilean.”

60 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are saying!”

Immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster[b] crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, “Before the rooster crows,[c] you will deny Me three times.” 62 So Peter went out and wept bitterly.

Don't miss the look. Don't miss out on mercy and grace.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

6 comments:

  1. Great post Anne! I love how Peter jumped out of the boat in what I like to call the deja vu chapter because it was just like that first time Jesus got into the boat and had them cast the net after catching nothing all night. But what I love most is that Peter wouldn't have jumped out with that kind of excitement had he felt shame over what he did. And we know that when the two who walked to Emmaeus came to Jerusalem to say they saw Jesus, the disciples said, "Yes, he's appeared to Simon!" So somewhere between his public reinstatement and Christ's resurrection, he had a private moment with Peter. Man, I'd have loved to be in on that! But I know one thing: I know Peter confessed his love or he wouldn't have been so grieved when Jesus asked him 3 times (no coincidence!) Do you love me? He truly is merciful, and also always bringing dignity to our shame. Hey, maybe he even tipped his chin to look him in the eye to say, "I forgive you, Peter. And I love you." This post made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about that private moment, Jessica. I and I agree about the 3 times he asked if Peter loved him. I love Peter's story. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your take on the stink eye. My children and grandchildren know it well, however I never thought about the grace that goes with it. I will have to spend sometime thingin/praying about how many times God has to hive me the stink eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My Dad would spank us, and we knew the disapproval we'd received. But then afterward, he would hug us and show us lots of grace. He held the line of truth of our wrong doing, but then brought with it love and grace. Thanks, Dad!

      Delete
  3. We used to call it "The Hairy Eyeball" when we'd get it from our parents or teachers. And I earned that treatment way too often as a kid. Sadly, God has to look askance at me far too frequently now, too. But I'm glad He loves me enough to keep prodding me through His Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhahhahaaa, the hairy eyeball! Love that!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)