Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Do you NaNo?


Do you NaNo? If you're a writer, you've probably heard of NaNo, which stands for National Novel Writing Month.

NaNo, which celebrates its 16th year here in 2014 challenges writers to pen 50,000 words in the thirty days of November. This year, more than 400,000 writers on six continents will join together in this writing frenzy.

There are only a few 'rules' which, of course, you can break if you want to. You are supposed to start a brand new project. It is supposed to be fiction. And it is supposed to be at least 50,000 words in length.



I've participated in NaNo for several years, and I've 'won' several times. And each year, I've followed the 'rules,' but this year, I'm breaking them a bit. I am starting a new project, it is fiction, but it won't be 50,000 words all on its own. I received a contract recently for a new novella that will max out at 25,000 words. When I have that one written, I'll jump into another one of the same length. By the end of the month, I hope to have two novellas of about 50,000 words combined.

NaNo is hilarious, stressful, exhilarating, hair-tearing, fist-pumping fun. It takes place in a month with a major holiday, and a month that only has 30 days. But it is a great way to jump-start a project, and a great way to make new writing friends.

Even if you're not an aspiring author, you can still participate. It would be a fun way to dip your toe into writing fiction.



    Executive Assistant  

    Earl Grey Aficionado 

    Find me on FACEBOOK

    Find me on PINTEREST

    Find me on GOODREADS

    Find me on AMAZON.COM

    10 comments:

    1. I've tried. But I've been more successful when I move it to January!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Anne, have you tried Seekerville's SpeedBo? They run it in March, and it's tons of fun.

        Delete
    2. NaNo is fun! I'm working on a rewrite project this year, and I'm challenging myself to lay aside the old draft, and write the middle to end from scratch. So hard for this compulsive editor, lol.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's one thing that NaNo is great for, pushing the word count and muffling the editor in us all! :) Good luck on your project!

        Delete
    3. I got extremely discouraged a couple years ago when a friend told me I wasn't allowed to work on an existing project so I didn't do it because there was no way I could just start something new. I have five WIPs rolling around in my brain as it is. But seeing that others are "breaking the rules" gives me hope. I may actually do it this year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Break the rules! Do what works for you. There are no NaNo police to haul you away if you change things up a bit. There's even a group called NaNo Rebels who walk on the noveling wild side. :)

        Delete
    4. Hi Erica! This year I am participating in Nano and I'm excited. I recently wrote a novel for Harlequin and I hope to use Nano to motivate me to write my second:) I'm joining a group of other participants in my area for write-ins and I hope this will encourage me to finish this year:)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Congrats on writing a novel for Harlequin! NaNo should catapult your word count on book two! I love meeting with the local group. It gives NaNo a little zing! :)

        Delete
    5. I am hoping to get in 50,000 words on an existing project! But I also haven't written anything since August, so it might take me a bit to get in the groove. I don't enjoy the editing process at all, so I write slowly :) We shall see!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lock up that inner editor and let those words fly! :)

        Delete

    Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)