Monday, September 8, 2014

My Full Life

www.freedigitalphotos.net

Our nest is empty.
But I'm telling everyone how full my life is.

Driving home from card night with my church girlfriends, I turn on the radio and it's Dr. Dobson. He's rattling on in an interview about how God uses empty-nesters for mentors. If you just ask, God will show you who you need to open your life to. Hmmm. I'm thinking, geesh God, the kids just left three weeks ago, is the vacation over already? But in the pit of my stomach, I'm comforted deeply to know I still have a purpose that is vital. Apparently it's called experience.

The next morning on the way to get my haircut, I flip the station from the Christian one to NPR, not quite ready to hear another God directive about how to fill up my life that just emptied out less than a month ago. But then Diane Rhem was interviewing Gail Sheehy about life "passages": Daring: My Passages. Hmmm. Ok, I get it. I'm in a passage now. She talked about women being daring, and had a nifty name for each decade of life, like fabulous forties, and nifty fifties. So, apparently this isn't a vacation, I've now entered something daring.

Suddenly, I realized that I've been given back some strange freedom since the kids left. Not only am I doing several fewer loads of dishes and laundry, every person who says they'd love to have coffee or wants me to join a committee, or sing on worship--is suddenly a great decision. Is THIS the thing God wants me to do with my freedom? God, please, just point me in the right direction so I can plug in  my "experience".

Alright, of course it's not that simple. But the neat thing is this sense of adventure I feel. Giving of myself suddenly feels like something that will fill me up and bless others instead of exhaust me.

So, I'm telling everyone my nest is empty, but my life is full.
And I'm asking God for direction.

A Prayer for the Ephesians

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

5 comments:

  1. So timely for me. I'm in a transition phase myself, though the laundry and dishes are much the same, since my kids are still living at home for the time being. But no longer homeschooling means more 'discretionary' time for me. I need to be examining how best to use this different schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post, Anne!!

    Yes - you are about to embark on an adventure, one that will bless you as much as the ones to whom you minister!! Those things we "choose" to do, vs those we do as a responsibility - enrich our lives in different ways, provide different forms of enjoyment and learning experiences, as well as opportunities for greater mental concentration. Bon voyage!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)