Monday, August 25, 2014

Rhythms of Life

When you feel the wind get cooler, and sense a change coming on the air, it's good to embrace the rhythm of life. I'm sure there are books about how best to "do" empty-nesting, but so far my plan is just to embrace this. So Ted and I started with stacking wood together and then we canned 40 quarts of tomatoes!
There's something comforting about the start of school each year, the dog days of summer, and the repetition of things we do every season.             


So instead of sitting around feeling weird, we pulled out the old splattered Ball Blue Book. Do you have one? My mother gave me mine for our wedding.

Sometimes a feeling of accomplishment soothes the frayed edges and makes you too tired to obsess over things we should surrender to the Lord anyway.

Beside canning tomatoes, I've decided so far, the top 5 ways to embrace empty-nesting are: 
1. Pray and rejoice.
2. Spend quality time with your spouse.
3. Be intentional
4. Laugh a lot
5. Remember that an empty nest doesn't equal an empty life, it's just a new normal and a time to have fun!

If you are in a new season, or emptying your nest, what are you doing to embrace the rhythms of life?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

6 comments:

  1. We're in the same boat...minus the tomatoes. :) Congrats on being so productive! I love that you prioritized spending some quality time with your spouse. That's so very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really really is. Being intentional is so important. Blessings your nest as well!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement when that time comes! We keep trying to remain together strong during these kid raising years so we don't have too much of a shock with each other when the empty nest season comes. We hope to keep busy with each other like you have. Love your canning time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. That's a great point. Ted and I were just talking about the preparation we did with the children too, not just ourselves. Through their high school years, we intentionally gave them chances to manage their time, money, choices, etc. Though it was often tempting to yank the reins back and steer them a better direction, we had many many conversations about choices and consequences. Ted and I were just saying that now that they are launched, that process, though painful at times, is giving us a lot of peace. We know they will still make mistakes, but they have a strong foundation. Letting go of your children---that starts long long before they leave home.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your sweet post, Anne - amen to everything mentioned!! Loved hearing the methods you're using to cope with your "empty nest"!!

    My son and his family were home (from Kansas) for the weekend. I've learned to enjoy the time spent with them during visits, marvel at the sensitivity, changes, accomplishments, and maturing of my 13 year old granddaughter (she's 5'10", witnesses to her classmates, excels in sports and school studies, and was recently praised by her school principal for initiating a "no-bullying" campaign at her school - after the suicide of a bullied classmate), and take pride in my caring, charitable, sensitive, career successful, God-loving, wonderful father, husband and son - that my son is, and then thank God for my blessings and appreciate the life I have, whether living alone - or with family guests in the household.

    Contentment begins with oneself and God in one's life- everything else is "icing on the cake"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Icing on the cake, I just love that last line there Bonnie! Thanks, I needed that.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)