Monday, August 11, 2014

Monday's Devo: Still Point

Psalm 46 has long been my favorite Psalm. In 1986 when my husband (then fiancé) was leaving for January Term to Mexico, I copied this in a love letter and tucked it in his Bible. It's still there.

This week I recall this soothing psalm as my son prepares to leave for Ireland for three months, my daughter goes back to school, and our nest empties. Though this summer has been tumultuous, at the center of the storms and roaring seas, is the still center--Christ, whispering that He is not in the storms of my life, but rather, He's the still gentle voice of the Spirit.




Psalm 46 English Standard Version (ESV)

God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.

6 The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.
7 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire.

10 “Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. 

As I look away from the laundry list of things that constitute the looming mountains I scaled this summer, I draw to the still point. And there, I hear Him say to me sweet sweet secrets that only my heart can hear. Like a lover whispers to his love, words meant only for her, He speaks to my spirit and speaks truth only a loving God could know I desperately need.

Draw near to your still point.
He is not in the storms of life or the roar of the seas,
or the upheaval of the nations.

He is God.
He will be exalted in all the earth.
Amen.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

2 comments:

  1. Amen!! So thankful for that comforting, still, small, voice!! Thanks for the reminder, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)