Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday's Devo: Never Enough

Sitting around the campfire the last morning of our camping vacation, I could feel it. The time to leave was nearing too quickly. The ending of a good thing. As they say, all good things must come to an end.



But WHY? (...and I know that all the non-campers out there, don't get that--just pretend you are on your dream vacation.)

My internal tantrum began.  Why can't I go back  to the real world and take the best of my relaxed vacation with me? How do I keep the stress of life from getting 'on me'?

Go away stress! I mentally flicked him off my shoulder like an unwelcome stink bug and voiced my thoughts aloud. "Why do I always feel it's never enough?"

Perhaps that's one awesome thing about heaven we will love. I think it will be a place with God where we'll always have enough; a place of endless satisfaction. I don't mean things. I mean that place in our soul and spirit, where we just need to rest and fill up.

Until then, I will thirst. I will hunger. I will work. I will see in part. How else will I learn to seek Him for my satisfaction, for rest, food, filling, and vision?

Isaiah 55: 1-3

“Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
    listen, that you may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
    my faithful love promised to David.

Have you taken a refreshing vacation?
How do you make relaxation last?
I pray you can find 'the richest of fare'.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your posts and the meditation they provoke, Anne!!

    My thoughts are that since man's fall in the Garden of Eden - all earthy good things earned an expiration date because we are human and sinful, because we couldn't fully appreciate the perfection of Heaven otherwise, and because - as you mentioned, we, being earthly and imperfect, would become too complacent, less appreciative, and less dependent on God.

    That being said - the last few months have been more stressful than most and I am long overdue for a refreshing vacation and a visit to the beach, but hope to accomplish it within the next few months. The memories, pictures, and souvenirs from vacations help extend the relaxation and enjoyment but when the vacation memories start fading, I still find joy and relaxation every day - a cup of tea, a good book, the beauty of the seasons, lunch with a friend, my favorite music, reading His word.

    Thanks for your post, Anne - shared on Facebook !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Bonnie, so true. I love your note: "all earthly things earned an expiration date" after the fall. And yes to the small every day things that give us a Sabbath. Hope you can put your feet in the sand soon.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)