Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Is There A Place for Selfies?

I believe selfies get a bad rap.

Apparently, they come with the stigma that the human on the other end is consumed with their own face. But that's not the case. And, I'm here to set the record straight.

There is a place for selfies.

Consider reading your favorite blog posts, Facebook pages, and Tweets with no attached selfies. Boooooring. It's like watching Steve Martin in "Father of the Bride" with black construction paper over your face. Steve Martin isn't Steve Martin without the visual aid of his facial and body expressions. Let's face it, a selfie brings a post to life.

And if we were vain, conceited folks, we wouldn't post pics like this:

THAT is not the face of a self-obsessed love affair with good looks. It's also not a desperate attempt at a popularity contest. Nor is it an application for The Bachelorette. Although perhaps Survivor, consider it IS the face of a writer who spent most the night writing to meet deadline and was preparing for a long day at work.

Believe it or not, I've had a few people complain that I'm obsessed with taking selfies. That Facebook is filled of selfies of Jaime with coffee mugs, Starbucks, espresso, and more coffee. Well then. I'm sure that is a highly offensive picture that must be removed from FB IMMEDIATELY. (I could see the argument for said selfie to the right--I'm offended just staring at myself).

LOL. Ok, all snark aside, do you really want to know why I love selfies? Not the ones of myself, but the ones of other people?

I GET TO KNOW YOU!!

SO much personality is portrayed in a good selfie. Anne stinks at taking selfies. Which is why I LOVE her selfies!!!!! They're always lopsided, or her face half cut off, or so close I see her nose pores, or sometimes perfectly centered but blurry. Either way, it's my Anne-Girl. My sister. And her personality shines through her smile, her raised coffee mug, her beautiful face. Sheesh!!! I get to SEE her in a selfie. I would be bereft if she didn't send them to me.

And Erica! She posted a selfie this weekend on Facebook that cracked me up. Her cat wrapped around her neck like a backward boa. Loved it. Laughed out loud, literally. It was a fantastic selfie filled with joy, wit, and life.

So take selfies. Share yourself. The Lord made amazing personalities and people. Selfies are polluted when they're posed as glamour shots, or seductive, or so on. Selfies that share a little bit of God's awesomeness in you? They make my day!!!

Head over to my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/jaimewrightbooks and post a selfie of you and your personality today!! I want to get to know you face to face. Keep it real, but keep it clean or this post will blow up in my face and I'll have to delete your pic asap.


_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. making me laugh out loud over my 2nd cup of coffee girl!!! I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. :) where's your selfie? You didn't post on my FB page yet? :) :)

      Delete
  3. I love your outlook on this topic Jaime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing people's lives and personalities through selfies!!! it's SO much fun!

      Delete
  4. Anne and I share the "Selfie Challenged" gene! I can take one with the webcam, but the ones with my phone are...unpredictable at best. :)

    I love your selfies. You and I and Anne need to take a brand new selfie for the masthead on this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very unique and fresh look at a very unpopular subject out there! I can relate to Anne, I am a very selfie challenged person. :) The two times I have even tried to take one have been hilariously demoted to the circular file. I am lucky to get an eye or chin in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the laugh, Jaime!! And for the record - I love seeing your selfies (so keep posting), but hate seeing ones of my myself (will send you a distant shot sometime - LOL)!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)