Monday, July 7, 2014

Take Delight

What do you think of when you think of the word delight?

I think of a child filled with joy when they receive an unexpected gift, or a gift they've been hoping for. I see children chasing fireflies. I see squeals of joy, giggles and laughter. Jumping up and down. Dancing. Teethy grins and dimples. Sparkly eyes.

We went camping this weekend. My husband and I have purchased a vintage camper from 1963. Being the Pinterest lover that I am--I went directly to a board and started pinning fun vintage restoration ideas. Of course, many will have to wait, and I was only having fun dreaming. So when we shopped at Lowe's for some supplies, I fell in love with an adorable red bench----that I just decided I'd have to wait on--but it was disappointing to walk away from it. I reasoned about budget, denying myself, controlling impulsive buying, blah, blah, blah....

We'd planned for Ted to set up early in the day and I'd meet him at the campground after work for our debut event in our '63 Shasta.

Well, you guessed it---he got me good!!  I pulled around the corner and it was all set up, red bench and cute matching pillows! EEEEeeeK!! Squeals! Jumping up and down! Big brownie points for Ted!
I was so delighted!
Here's the full effect:
Do you do things to delight your spouse? Your family?

Do you delight in the Lord? Because He delights in you!

How?
Psalm 37: 4 says:" Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."

It's not a recipe for self indulgence. It's not an earthly mathematical equation that automates that I get what I want. No, but what does it mean to delight in the Lord then?

John Piper says that delighting in the Lord is "seeing and savoring the diverse excellencies of God, as infinitely admirable" especially as they are displayed in Christ Jesus. He reminds us that delighting in the Lord is "embracing Him as our dearest friend and Savior, Protector, Provider." And lastly, he reminds us that to delight in Him is to "receive everything He gives us in worship" and thankfulness.
For a five minute deeper look at delighting in the Lord, listen at the link:  John Piper: Delighting in God

Practice Delight this week!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

8 comments:

  1. lvoe love love the red bench!!! like super de dooper love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no longer married but do delight in doing something special for my family (and friends)!! Love your red bench, Anne, (Ted is certainly a "keeper", where were all the godly, caring men when I was looking - lol??) and love your post on "delighting in the Lord"!! And yes - I DO delight in Him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we turn our hearts inside out for Him, he loves to bless with big and little ways!

      Delete
  3. What a treat! It goes so well with your camper. :) I love when my hubby surprises me with something he knows I'll enjoy. He doesn't do it often, but when he does, it means all the more. One day I came home and he was putting in a new flowerbed up by the front of the house. I said: "What are you doing?" He said: "Making you a rock flowerbed. You said you liked that one we saw the other day, so I thought I'd make you one." :) I love that flowerbed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, sweetness. It goes so far and deep! Love that Gabe! :)

      Delete
  4. What better way to delight in The Lord and feel close to him than camping! My husband and I love to camp and just got back from a 4 day trip today. I love your vintage camper! Leaving again in 4 days to camp for a week at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Chain-o-Lakes State Park. Where did you go Gail?

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)