Monday, July 14, 2014

Historic Destination Vacation: Gettysburg

Winner of Cindy Thomson's "Annie's Stories" is: KAREN G.!

First, let me preface this post: I'm not a Civil War know-it-all, nor will I pretend to be one. Please kindly overlook any historical errors. I do love history and champion the correctness of remembering it, but this post is dedicated to a summer vacation destination: Gettysburg.

Summer is a wonderful time for family vacations and it's often tough to find a destination that suits the entire family. Gettysburg offers something for everyone in the family, whether it's a good history lesson, a driving, tour, or some good eating and fun shopping.

In 2010, we stayed the Lightner Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast, a federal style home built in 1862 that served as a temporary hospital for Union soldiers.


Perhaps Annie Etheridge even worked here while the house was used as a hospital.


We had a lovely breakfast.

...and occupied the attic rooms. 


The next morning we started a driving/walking tour while we listened to the history on a CD in the car. We could stop and look, moving at our own pace, which is great for families. You can check this link before you make a trip: Park Map and Guide


Each stop is marked with a marker and reading information, but the CD would tell about it between the markers. Even the trees still bare evidence of scars from the battle.


When we got weary on the tour, we stopped for lunch and the second day we spent inside the museum. There is nice information for each state.


The traditional soldiers gear pack was much heavier than our son had figured. 


Today the battlefields are serene. One could nearly imagine the clouds were canon smoke. It was said the stench and the flies were terrible, that is hard to imagine today.


This year marks nearly150 years from the end of the Civil War. It is thought by many that the three day battle in July, 1863, was the turning point in the war. At the time, Gettysburg was home to 2,400 residence and after the battle ended they were left with 22,000 dead and wounded soldiers and 5,000 dead horses. Let us celebrate the freedom we've gained and not forget another man's loss.

Are you heading on a vacation this summer?
What historic vacation destinations have you loved?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! I just got back from a vacation loaded with Civil War sites. Gettysburg is on my list of places I want to see someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please share your destinations next week! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the pics, Anne, and love Gettysburg!! I loved exploring the D.C. area, also Charleston, S.C., Savannah, Ga. and Pearl Harbor. I don't know if, health wise, I'll get the opportunity to travel very far this summer - if not, there are numerous historical sites in my own state of Ky. that I've not yet seen.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)