Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Books Are Treasures

The Black Stallion

When you were a kid, did you have a favorite book or series of books? Little House on the Prairie, Misty of Chincoteague, Anne of Green Gables, The Boxcar Children, Cherry Ames?

For me, my favorite series of books was The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley. I read and re-read them, until some of my copies were nearly in tatters.

Recently, I was trying to figure out how to make more space on my bookshelves, knowing that the only answer was either to build more bookshelves (I vote for this one) or to pare down some of my library (Which is probably more reasonable.) I began going through my inventory in my mind, and when I landed on my Black Stallion books, I put the mental brakes on.

Nope. No way. Not gonna happen. Those books are mine, a part of me, a part of my history, my childhood. I invested emotion in those books and cared (Still care) about those characters. Those books are going to stay in my collection, no matter what.

Do you have a book or a series of books from your childhood that you feel that way about? I'd love to hear about it.

3 comments:

  1. I collected Grace Livingston Hill books, a whole large box full growing up and saved them for my daughter. She wasn't as thrilled, said they were too old fashioned. Oh well..... One of my favorites as a child was The Bobbsey Twins books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few books I'll never get rid of, but they're not actually from my childhood. I am super attached to all of Dee Henderson's books, but in particular her O'Malley and Uncommon Heroes series. I have read and reread them over and over since I discovered them about 4 years ago, I think. Those books have seen me through some rough times and they're the ones I go back to whenever I just want to "visit" some old friends. :)
    One of my favorite series as a child was Nancy Drew - I read those books over and over, too. I also read The Baby-Sitters' Club books - any and all of them I could find.
    Hope you have a blessed day!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book I most remember is "Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories" - each chapter was a different story with a moral to it.

    Just today - I looked at bookcases in the store, need another one on which to put the stacks of books resting on the floor. Like you, I considered the practicality of giving some of my books away as I'm running out of space to put the bookcases I keep buying - also like you, my answer was to go look at more bookcases to purchase (LOL)!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)