Thursday, June 12, 2014

Throwback Thursday


The picture above is of my sister-in-law, Linda, and I putting together a Red-Cross signature quilt. In 2012, we created this quilt, embroidered with the names of the Dodge County, MN World War 1 Veterans.

While I was writing the novel "A Bride Sews With Love in Needles, CA" I learned about signature quilts that were used to raise money for the Red Cross during the war. For a donation, you could have your name embroidered on the quilt, and then the quilt was raffled or auctioned and the funds donated to the Red Cross.

The Dodge County Historical Society in Mantorville, MN has a WW1 quilt on display (Embroidered with the names of donors and business in and around Mantorville during WW1,) and when I saw it, I knew I wanted to use that idea in a book someday.

The quilt Linda and I made was donated to the DCHS Museum and is now on display with the original.

It was a fun project that I never could've done without Linda's help and encouragement.


Here are Linda and I with the board of directors of the Dodge County Historical Society in front of the completed quilt on Veterans Day, 2012.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Author of Historical Romance

Reluctant Bookkeeper 

Earl Grey Aficionado 

Find me on FACEBOOK

Find me on PINTEREST

Find me on GOODREADS

Find me on AMAZON.COM

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Erica!

    I've never had a gift for sewing, but, I do admire handmade quilts! Some of them look so pretty, kinda like works of art!

    Sounds like you had a great time making this quilt and it's cool that you donated it to the museum!

    Cecelia Dowdy
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat thing to do!! Thanks for the post, Erica!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)