Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New Stages of Life


We did it. There were days (weeks...months) when I thought we might never make it, but we did.

My son, James, has graduated from high school. He's the younger of my two children, my baby, the last one.

I am now officially no longer a home-school mom. No more grading assignments, setting assignments, giving tests, ordering curriculum.

He's done. Graduated. Finished.

I suspect the reality of all this will hit me harder next fall when he's at college and for the first time in a lot of years, I'm not dragging myself out of summer mode and into school mode.

At the moment, it feels like relief and accomplishment. Later it might feel like loss and regret.

Today, I'm in full summer mode. Sleeping in a bit later, staying up a bit later, enjoying my flowers and writing fiction and drinking iced tea.

How about you? Are you in summer mode?

Author of Historical Romance

Reluctant Bookkeeper 

Earl Grey Aficionado 

Find me on FACEBOOK

Find me on PINTEREST

Find me on GOODREADS

Find me on AMAZON.COM


5 comments:

  1. I'm getting there too Erica! Glad to be on the empty-nester journey with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to take a little time to relax. You've been flat to the boards for awhile now. Congrats on getting your son all graduated.

      Delete
  2. I'm actually not in summer mode - it still kind of surprises me when I go outside in the morning and find it nice and warm already. Like your son, I just graduated and am now job hunting/waiting for God to show me what He wants me to do next with my life. My mom is going through the same thing you are - I thought she was going to cry when we packed up all the school books. She's about to cry and I'm grinning, thankful to be done with school. :)
    Hope you have a wonderful summer!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Sarah! Yay for graduation and milestones! :) I hope you find just the right job and that God makes your path plain.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to James and to you also, Erica - what an accomplishment for each of you!!

    I don't think I would have had the patience to home-school my children and I'm in awe of those who do. I'm blessed to say that my children have been on their own for years now and I am retired - so in a way, guess I'm in "summer mode" year round, so to speak!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)