Monday, June 9, 2014

"My Writing Process" Blog Tour: Anne's Process

Last week we are invited to share our writing process for a blog tour. Jaime shared last week.
This is a blog post relay, which the lovely and talented Preslaysa Williams invited me to join.
Question #1: What am I working on now?

I've spent the last five months writing my third novel. I've just cracked 50k last month, past the half way mark. It's the second in a series set in northern Wisconsin, 1894. It's an inspirational historical romance inspired by my work over the last twenty-five years to research family history. Written in third person, from the heroine and hero's perspective, it tells the story of a land feud that ensues after a land agent mis-transcribes the name on a family deed. When proof of identity and ownership is required to correct the mistake, the heroine and hero are thrown deep into the secrets their ancestors left untold. Visit my Pinterest page: Current WIP #3

What happens when Andie Landry:

meets this man, Cass Lafferty?

Question #2:  How does my work differ from others of its genre?
It's no prairie romance. No school teacher/rancher style story. There are no rockies, or fallen doves. I've chosen the north woods of Wisconsin because it's what I know and love. My mother and grandmother grew up in rural northern Michigan. I live on a dead-end dirt road in the woods of northern Indiana. I come from a long line of families where the heroes hunt and fish, and the heroines quilt, can, and make do off the land. I know about two-track dirt roads, huckleberry bogs, mushroom hunting, gardens, and fish shanties. Though there are no bonnets or bishops, my stories spring out of my Mennonite roots on my mother's side. My father's family roots are colonial, Swiss-German and Irish. I like to think that my stories spring out of a place where deep faith meets Americana. My novels are character driven stories of transformation and redemption. They unfold in backwoods settings with rural charm and wit, flavored with a dose of romance and faith that I hope brings the reader nearer to their roots and the inheritance Christ intended for them.

www.fredigitalphotos.com

Question #3:  Why do I write what I do?
I fell in love with history before I fell in love with reading or writing. I struggled to read as a youngster. I had to have special help from a reading teacher when I plummeted to the bottom reading group in first grade. I spent more time staring out the window daydreaming of something more fun, than reading. When my second grade teacher read Little House on the Prairie books to our class, I fell in love with story. History and story spark my passion to understand who I am, where I've come from, and what created me. When my grandmother gave me Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly for Christmas, I read my first real novel without thinking about the work it took to accomplish the skill of reading. It was magical.

My love of history grew as I started researching family history at age thirteen. When I looked at the beautiful scrolling ink and quill writing on a 1850 census record for the first time, my daydreaming returned with insatiable curiosity. That curiosity sparked a story idea in 1999 after I'd had been in a car accident. Knowing I'd walked away without permanent damage, pushed me to try my hand at things I'd never dreamed I could do. I wrote book one prior to completing my masters degree in nursing in 2004. Now, I find that my day work occupies my left brain, and writing exercises my right brain, keeping me balanced. Not to mention the many relationships with other writers that I wouldn't trade for anything!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting post, Anne!! Loved learning more about you, your family and your writing - gives me background info to enhance the reading of what I KNOW will eventually be some wonderfully inspirational published books!! SO looking forward to them - thanks!! Love and hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your faithful belief and prayers. Love and hugs back to you!

      Delete
  2. When you mentioned Love Comes Softly, it reminded me of the movie when the little girl was being told about where reading could take her.....
    I feel the same way. You can be somebody else for a short time, or go somewhere you've never been, or experience new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's magical. A mystery I'll never grow old experiencing.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on reaching the 50K mark on your third novel. And I am especially impressed that you've crated a Pinterest board about it. I have to work on my neglected Pinterest page. I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm a Pinterest junkie Preslaysa!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)