Monday, June 2, 2014

Expect the Unexpected

Are you ready?

I've been planning my son's open house for several months, it's expected.
I can handle the expected. The planned for. The well prepared-I-knew-in-advance event.
In truth, from the day he was born, we knew this day would come.
Graduation.

Yes, around our locale, it's tradition--a rite of passage--to host a big open house at high school graduation.

Yes, I've got the food, the tent, the flowers, the landscaping, the catered coffee cart (and I can't believe Jaime won't be here for that!), the requisite photo albums and mementos, life achievements, awards, senior pics, invites, dates, etc. all planned and checked off my list.



At 4 p.m. on Saturday, while finishing the last flower bed, ready to breath--I'm ready at last--my son calls.  "Mom, we have a situation. The senior who planned to host the cast party tonight is sick, can we host 35 kids tonight?"

Expect the unexpected.

"Of course, we can do it!"  I trotted off to get more teen-aged food items, set up for bonfire and s'mores, ordered pizza, and drank more caffeinated coffee at 5 p.m. The party started after the play at 10 p.m. Perfect weather. We couldn't have been more ready.

What I didn't expect....was to hear 35 kids singing praises to God in my backyard for an hour at 10:30 at night. 

Why did it surprise me so?

No adult prompted it.
There were no rules.
No syllabus.
There wasn't going to be a test.
No extra credit.
There was no one to impress.

There was only a spark.
And a fire.

Why would I expect any less?
Because I was too busy looking for the expected.

Look up. Expect the unexpected.
See what the Spirit is doing.

Remember Matthew 24:44: "You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected." And John 3:8: "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story, Anne and a wonderful memory you'll have for a lifetime! Your yard looks beautiful, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I sure will remember it forever! :)

      Delete
  2. You stated "there was no one to impress." I believe God was very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne has the most beautiful little red home!! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story, Anne - love it!! It's thrilling to read about teenagers that love the Lord!! I'm happy that you willingly opened your home to the unexpected and were so blessed in return!!

    Your flowers and landscaping are beautiful!! If you've had the Open House - I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time and left with treasured memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Bonnie. I hope everyone else was as blessed as I was!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)