Thursday, April 24, 2014

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - A Classic Tale of Horror

One of my first classic reads EVER was The House of Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, better known for writing The Scarlet Letter. I remember curling my thirteen-year-old frame into an old chair and sitting from 8 am to 11 pm until the book had finished. A tale of horror, cursed house, a man hung for witchcraft, and death of the worst sort. It was my first horror novel ala Mr. Hawthorne and it captivated me.

As far as classics go, I'm always surprised that such a delicious read doesn't make the list of top 10 classics very often. Usually it's Jane Austin, Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens, etc. But then, I was always good for picking out the more obscure classics and adding them to my faves list (enter Ivanhoe -- a story for another day).

Hawthorne penned one of the first great All-American horror novels because, as you  may not know, Frankenstein and Count Dracula are not, nor will they ever be, American tales of fright. In the delicious way of Hawthorne, he takes the reader on a journey through generations of a gabled house who's walls are truly alive and who's dark recesses hide family secrets that may wound...or even kill.

What obscure throwback classic do you hail as a favorite?

_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

15 comments:

  1. I don't know about obscure, but I loved Sarah Crewe, aka Little Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Frankenstein and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't really scary, but, it was suspenseful.

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suspenseful is just as good in my opinion! :)

      Delete
  3. I remember reading that in high school. I think Edgar Allen Poe scared me more. LOL
    Oh yes, Anne, I love the Little Princess also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I have NEVER heard of this one. Off to Google I go!

      Delete
    2. Yes!! That's the one that scared me! :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the recommendation. I was able to download it for free on my Kindle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool!!! I hope you enjoy its creep factor :) :)

      Delete
  6. The Telltale Heart. The Old Man and the Sea, The Secret Garden, The Fall of the House of Usher. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot about the Telltale Heart, another great one! Loved this post today, bringing back many high school English class memories. Lol

      Delete
  7. I am a huge fan of magical realism, which isn't technically horror. But Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw" will always be my fav in that genre :) I loved Frankenstein, especially the cheesy movies we had to watch in class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about "obscure", but in AP English Lit, my favorite novel was, by far, "A Tale of Two Cities" I think I need to read that again :) Oh, and in middle school I was obsessed with the works of Lois Duncan. She's probably most known for "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but I liked some of her other ones better. http://www.amazon.com/Lois-Duncan/e/B000APRGQ6/ref=la_B000APRGQ6_st?qid=1409319849&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_82%3AB000APRGQ6&sort=date-desc-rank

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)