Friday, April 25, 2014

Book Report: The Pelican Bride by Beth White

Winner of Tracie Peterson's "A Sensible Arrangement" - Carolina Anda

Beth White's debut book, The Pelican Bride, wins high marks on my favorites list!

~~It's Romantic & Clever
~~Historic & Intricate

Set in colonial Louisiana on the Gulf Coast of 1704, this first in a series of a family saga will pull you in and make you anxious for her number two in the series. If you aren't versed in pre-American Revolution history, you might take a little time to read White's A Word to the Reader at the end of the book, or brush up a little on your own. White has done her homework, as any teacher would do! At her day job, Beth teaches music in an inner-city high school, in historic Mobile, Alabama.

What could be so bad to make the lovely French born mademoiselle, Genevieve Gaillain, leave her homeland, cross the Atlantic, and marry a stranger in the untamed swamps of the Gulf Coast fledgling colony? She has no illusions that the move will be easy, but she hopes the new start will provide the opportunity to leave the horrors of the old world and gain a chance to worship quietly, without persecution for her outlawed religious beliefs.

When Genevieve falls in love with Tristan Lanier, an expatriate cartographer, their sweet romance is quickly pulled into a quagmire of loyalties between their secret pasts, and the demands of that serving their King requires while balancing relationships with the local military, Indians, Spanish, and British. And if those loyalties aren't enough complication, suspicion rises that a sinister enemy lurks within the colony.

Will Genevieve's secret be the undoing of the future of the colony and her newly found love?

White's debut is a page-turning delight that kept me reading every word and anxiously awaiting her next release, Book 2 of The Gulf Coast Chronicles, set in1776. In the fresh setting of the South, White gives an amazing view into colonial life in a style reminiscent of Laura Frantz.

We invite readers to comment for a chance to win a free copy.
White reminds her readers how soggy the south can be on the coast. I spent eighteen days living in a tent giving medical care after Hurricane Katrina, in the very region of nearby present day Biloxi, Mississippi. We spent a long wet night in a military tent while the outer bands of Hurricane Rita buzzed through. It's a once in a life time experience I hope I won't have to repeat, but the climactic scene of this book, brought it all back afresh!

So, readers, any campers out there? 
Do you camp with style & comfort, or the old gritty & primitive way?
What's the most rural place you've been to, or vacation you've been on?
If you've ever "roughed it", did it reconnect you to your settler ancestors and predecessors?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook


Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

24 comments:

  1. I'm a camper! We use an airbed in a tent. Kinda cheating, kinda roughing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it Linsey. I'm a camper too.

      Delete
  2. I don't camp. My idea of camping is to play along Lake Superior's North Shore all day, then go to the Holiday Inn. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, where they have real beds and breakfast with auto drip coffee!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the super review, Anne! You nailed exactly what I was trying to accomplish in The Pelican Bride.

    So you're one of the heroes who came down to assist after Katrina! We are all so grateful for those who came down and pitched tents and scrubbed and handed out food and chopped wood an dragged around trees and all that stuff--while braving the mosquitos....Personally my idea of camping is the Holiday Inn! I had nightmares about drowning after writing those last few scenes of Pelican Bride. My imagination is too much sometimes!

    Linsey and Erica, I hope you'll enjoy the book!

    Warmly,
    Beth White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So happy to have you here Beth! I thoroughly enjoyed your book and can't wait to host you again after the next release! :) It sure would be fun to visit the South again 10 yrs later and see the recovery. I'll look you up if I make it back! :)

      Delete
  4. We don't camp much any more, but almost all our family vacations when I was growing up were camping trips. We had a tent trailer for most of those years. My husband does NOT like camping, but we have done it quite a bit - tent camping too! We are actually hoping to get down to Dry Tortuga this year and really rough it there for a night or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Kym. My partner goes there. I didn't know you could camp there on the Dry Tortugas. I've camped in Colorado, Arkansas, and Oregon, but mainly in Michigan and Indiana. Tent mostly.

      Delete
  5. One of the things my mom loved about my dad was that he would take girls as well as guys on backpacking trips. A good thing too, since they ended up having four daughters! We went camping every summer on our road trips at multiple locations. As teenagers we went backpacking in the mountains of southern California, Idaho, and Wyoming. My favorite place was the Grand Tetons, since it was so much greener than our dry California mountains (in the summer). My husband loves camping too, so we've carried on the tradition of camping on road trips, and we're looking forward to when we can take our daughters on backpacking trips.
    My favorite part of being out in nature is how quiet it can be, and the sense that everything is so much bigger than you. Cooking over a campfire and dealing with the bugs definitely makes me appreciate my pioneer ancestors! It's fun for a few days, a week at the most, but returning to flush toilets and hot showers is heaven! :)
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    colorvibrant at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Heidi! I'd forgotten camping at the Tetons with my family in high school. My husband and I also did a week in Minnesota's Boundary Waters on our own, packed in and dropped off. No cell phones. No electronics. I agree, it connects you in a hurry to nature and our ancestors and what they faced to pioneer the land we enjoy now.

      Delete
  6. My husband and I love to camp. We started out with a tent when our kids were growing up. Progressed to a pull behind trailer, and now own a class C RV. When I retire in 2 years and our grands are in school we plan to take lots of trips. We go to the beach for a week each summer and can stay in our state park for the same price one night in a rented condo would cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Ted and I have been dreaming of a little pull-behind RV..... :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I really want to go camping sometime, but never have had the opportunity. If I do go camping I want the real deal; tents, campfire cooking, fishing, etc. I think I could do it. Showers and restrooms would be nice though.

    Ah...I really am looking forward to reading this book. It sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sylvia, you must step out and adventure! Take the book with you to read. Really, just think what it was like to live in a newly growing colony!

      Delete
  8. My family goes camping at least once a year. We use a camper, so definitely not "roughing it". ;)

    Thanks for the giveaway! :)
    ~Aerykah --- crazybooklover7 [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, you might discover a whole new world! :)

      Delete
  9. I have a confession to make. I have never actually been camping! My dad is about as far from an outdoorsy person you can find. One year when I was young, my mom wanted to take my family on a camping trip for summer vacation and my dad said sure...and a few hours later came home with an RV! It was still a fun trip, but not quite what my mom had in mind! My sister loves camping and I hope to go with her sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been camping except for when I was 5 which of course I don't remember. I would like to experience it sometime! Thanks for the giveaway!
    audreypsalm421ATgmailDOTcom
    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, I love that cover! Sooo gorgeous.

    Me? Yeah. I don't camp. Ever. ;) Then again, I guess we did stay out in a camper in the desert a few times for some ATV riding, if that counts! ;) Definitely not roughing it, but it was super fun to ride those sand dunes and toast marshmallows at the camp site.

    -Lizzie (thefearlist@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That counts Lizzie!! Great for you!
      And the cover--to DIE FOR! I LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed your review. Sounds like a book I would love! I have camped at all levels from a tent with no facilities whatsoever to a very nice motorhome. The tent camping was so much fun, but then I was relatively young. I recall digging latrines and 4 straight days of pouring down rain! My most recent camping was done in a comfortable RV.
    may_dayzee(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your review, Anne - The Pelican Bride sounds like an exciting book, thanks for the opportunity to win a copy!!

    I haven't camped for years - but always loved camping with friends near forests/mountains, cooking on and gathering around an outdoor fire, etc.!! I started out sleeping in a tent, graduated to a pull-behind camper, and have also camped in a motor home. My achy bones wouldn't let me camp in a tent now!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)