Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday's Devo: Draw Near and Pray

Do you lack any good thing? 
Peace? Understanding? 
Healing? Wisdom?

Is there anything too big to pray about? Too impossible?

by permission: www.freedigitalphotos.net
Prayer. It's a funny thing. Mysterious really.

It certainly changes me and my attitude.
But is that all it does?

Do you approach the throne of God boldly? Or with timidity?

I can't pretend to cover the multiple facets of prayer in a short blog post.
But I'd offer a few tidbits for thought.

I once read a research study that showed people recovering from surgery, recovered more rapidly and without complication than people who were not prayed for--and they were unaware they were being prayed for.  WOW.  I love that!!

I don't want to suggest that God is a puppet to be manipulated. 
Rather, I'd like to suggest that all too often we don't present our deepest needs to Him in prayer and as James 4:1 says, that we "have not because we ask not." 

James challenges us to humble ourselves--don't be afraid to plainly state your utter dependence on God.
James challenges us to submit ourselves to God and reminds us that when we turn our hearts to God, bend our knee, and surrender our hearts--He comes near.

I'm a firm believer in asking God for things that please Him. And I'm always irked about Christians glibly and lazily request "God be with" prayers that go something like this--right before a yummy meal, or sleep, or parting, or basically anything that has more importance than taking the time to think through our prayers, we utter "Oh, and God with with Johnny, Amen." God was already with Johnny. Did we want Johnny to become more aware of God's presence? Did we want God to reveal Himself to Jill in a new and mighty way? Did we need Jill's spiritual blindness to be healed to make way for new visions? Let's pray for new things, in new ways.

I challenge you this week to pray differently.
Humble yourselves.
State your need before God.
Turn to Him.
Align your will with His.
Be specific about what you desire.

And remember Eshpesians 3:14-21:
New Living Translation (NLT)
Paul’s Prayer for Spiritual Growth

"14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,[a] 15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth.[b] 16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen."

_____________

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Ephesians 3:20. Our churches scripture motto. Isn't it wonderful that we can come before the throne of the King of the Universe directly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that powerful post and reminder, Anne!

    I don't feel anything is either too small, or too large, to pray about! I totally believe in the power of prayer, and have seen miracles wrought through prayer! It is important that we are earnest, explicit, and sincere in our conversations with God - I talk to Him just as if He were a physical friend sitting in the room with me, and consult Him in all things!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)