Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day--a day late!

No, this isn't a post about the history of St. Patty's Day, but I came across this lovely old photo of Irish fishermen wearing Aran sweaters.

Isn't this a great vintage photo?

I learned that the sweaters are classic Aran sweaters knit by island women on the Aran Island of Ireland off the coast of Galway. It's thought that the women made the sweaters for the fishermen to survive the terrible weather conditions of the island, and that the patterns came down through centuries. The patterns, such as "Tree of Life", "Ladder of Life", and "Marriage Lines" all represented  different struggles of life.

So, next time you go to Ireland, or go fishing, or pull on a cable knit sweater--think of these interesting origins--and may the luck of the Irish be with you!  
_____________

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that interesting post, Anne!! QVC usually has a whole day full of Irish made "goodies" to buy on St. Pat's Day (although I haven't watched it for years), and they are always big on the sweaters. Now I know why!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cable knit! I'm a sucker for fisherman sweaters, always have been. I ordered one for my hubby one year. He loves it. Me too! ;) And my son loves these type of hats!

      Delete
  2. I love this history tidbit on cable-knit sweaters! I didn't know they originated with Irish fishermen. Thanks for sharing, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to write it into a story!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)