Tuesday, February 4, 2014

In Google We Trust


Last year, I was talking to a friend of mine about giving our baby boys immunizations. With the whole whoopla about shots causing autism and a ratio of 1:5 boys getting autism, whether you believe the theory or not, it gives you pause. What causes autism? Am I dooming my son to a life of disability if I get him immunized for polio (another potential life of disability). Ruminating over the catch-22, I said forcefully, "Well, I'm going to check Google." Silence. Then we both chuckled. "In Google We Trust," I added wryly.

Have you discovered yourself racing to Google lately for your answers? Answers to financial strain and how to get out debt? Reasons as to why you experienced a third miscarriage and could the cramp in your stomach be sign of number four? The odds of losing your spouse to cancer? How to identify a vampire from your morning barrista?

It was a sad day when I realized I rushed to Google first thing when a doubt creeps in over any matter. That's not to say it's not a good source for research, but when Google becomes God ... we have a problem -- Houston. Google is on my phone, it's on my laptop, my work computer, my husband's phone ... it's accessible through wi-fi at Starbucks, or at church while I'm frantically browsing Google during the sermon for the answer to my problems ...

When did Google replace God? When mankind sought to discover the answers for themselves? When I decided I wanted to SEE an answer or READ an answer rather than walk by faith? It's sure a heck of a lot easier. Faith = not easy. Google = easy.

The problem with Google is it gives you a multitude of answers. Immunizations for example. A ridiculous theory caused by panic stricken mothers who can claim autism after their son got the booster at the same time autism happens to show itself anyway. OR -- the leading cause of autism in children and poison in a needle. No one really knows. There is no firm answer. My faith in Google has failed me... and invisible faith I placed in a search engine run by none other than ...mankind.

Back to the search engine ... maybe I'll try Bing.

Not.

In God I trust. I trusted Him when I offered my son's leg for his first immunization. I trust Him when I lay my boy down to sleep on his back in hopes he'll still be awake in the morning. I trust Him when I see negative numbers in my checking account. I trust him when my platelet counts are too low. I trust Him when I see my child step onto the schoolbus for their first day of Kindergarten. I trust Him when I eat pesticide-grown vegetables from Walmart (and that takes faith people!).

Google, for all its wealth of information, cannot replace a masterful God. He alone knows -- He alone is ... God.


____________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Ignorance is bliss! I figured that out when I went through breast cancer and searched for info with Google. Every case scenario popped up, most of which did not even apply to me and my own personal cancer. Like you I had to trust God had me in His protective hand. And both my kids, now 31 and 25, had all their shots and they are both strong and healthy, thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Google possibilities can bring so much more fear than necessary!!

      Delete
  2. Amen, Jaime! Thanks for the reminder!

    Google sure is handy, but a much more reliable source when we get in the habit of consulting God for answers - both big, and small!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)