Monday, February 17, 2014

I Lift My Eyes to the Hills







Psalms121 

I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.

by permission: freedigitalphotos.net
This week I had my annual eye exam--and they always dilate my eyes. If you don't already feel old when the doctor comments about bifocals, you feel old when you leave the office squinting behind a pair of sunglasses. All the way home I realized I hadn't been thanking God for my sight. 

I was reminded of my grandmother's macular degeneration, and another woman I know who is legally blind. When I was five, I played the part of Fanny Crosby in a church play. She wrote hymns and my mother and I would always remember to point out the references she made to sight and seeing in her songs. When I was a senior in high school, I played the part of Helen Keller in our school play. I remember waking one morning during that time, with the realization that my fingers were signing in my sleep. On my way home from the eye doctor I realized I hadn't thought of this for years and suddenly I wondered... 

Am I thanking God for my sight?
Have I been asking Him for the visions He wants for me?
Do I see what He wants me to see?

I'm reminded of Miss Crosby's well known hymn:

"He Hideth My Soul"
Written by Crosby in 1890.

A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,
A wonderful Savior to me;
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
Where rivers of pleasure I see.

Refrain

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

We see through a glass darkly, but one day we shall see clearly...
I dropped my son off for a college visit tonight. I cannot see his future, but I know who hides his life in the depths of His love. I know Who I lift my eyes to...
Though we have sight, may we lift our eyes to Him. Though we see, may we trust our unseen future to Him.
_____________

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

8 comments:

  1. My grandmother dealt with macular degeneration, too. I pray constantly, but I don't think I've thanked Him for the ability to still see. Thank you for the reminder. Have a blessed Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had bad vision most of my life. Until I had eye surgery, I probably could have been classified as legally blind. The best decision I ever made was having Crystal Lens Implants in both my eyes. I now see without glasses or contacts and can even read without reading glasses even though I'm almost 60 years old. I've always thought about my 5 senses and thanked God for all of them. I've heard some say "I got where I am all by myself, no help from God!" So wrong!! I realize everyday that He could take any of what may be taken for granted away at any time. Sight, hearing, ability to walk, etc. Our pastors wife has MS and can only move her head but she's one of the happiest people I know. Don't know if I can be that way under the same circumstances and certainly pray He doesn't test me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what our lot, gratefulness is a discipline to learned and practiced don't you think?

      Delete
  3. My pastor speaks of Fanny Crosby a lot and loves to have us sing her songs. She sure knew how to praise God! Every time I want to complain about the wrinkles around my eyes from putting contacts in and out for 20 years I remember to thank God for my sight and those wrinkles are a reminder of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right, Anne - "gratefulness is a discipline to be learned and practiced"!! The more we practice gratefulness, the more we become aware of the need for it - and the easier for it to become a habit, resulting in the appreciation of the smaller things of life so much more !! Because otherwise, sadly - it often takes a loss of something valuable for us to realize just how blessed we are !!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)