Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Big News at Coffee Cups & Camisoles!


Me ready for conference
with my proposal in
hand!
Remember the blog posts Anne and I posted in August and September? Preparing for the ACFW writer's conference and the nervous angst about preparing pitches and proposals? And then ... the behind the scenes posts to the blog here and on our Facebook pages? Which btw, stop by and like them if you haven't--we keep going at all hours on those pages! (Jaime / Anne)

The preparation and flurry was all to further our writing dreams and pursuit of publishing our novels. Anne and her historical romance and myself with the same plus the element of suspense. We pitched--like crazy--at the conference. What is a pitch? It's 15 minutes of terror in front of an agent or editor with about half that time to tell them what your story is about and the other half to answer questions. Think of any of the music shows and auditioning in front of big name stars ...there's your Simon Cowell agent/editors who darn well know their stuff but scary the crazies out of you and pull no punches. Then you have your Randy Jackson's, kind, frank, firm. Truthfully? There are no Paula Abdul's. They don't have time to patronize you. In 15 minutes these experts know whether they're wasting their time with undeveloped talent or whether you've piqued their interest enough to ask for your proposal--or if you're luck--your full manuscript.

Both Anne and I had successful auditions!! Anne with requests for proposal submission AND full manuscripts, and myself the same. Thus has been the flurry of the last two months, revising, submitting, editing, panicking, praying ... maybe our blog posts have suffered a tad? You've all been faithful readers.

I received a rejection letter. My writing was incredibly awkward and I wasn't ready for the big time. Ouch. I recovered rather quickly--you have to have a thick skin in this business. Even Godly agents don't have the time to add flowers and perfume to ease the pain.

I took a vacation--to bow hunt. Think of it ... the silent woods, mums the word, no noises, me, waiting for the big buck ... and I look at my phone and see an email. From Mary. Who's Mary? I opened the email. "I loved your story. I'd like to talk to you about representation if you haven't already acquired an agent." WELL CALL ME CRAZY! It's a good thing I was tied into my tree stand 16' off the ground. It was a bad thing I couldn't move--couldn't make a sound--not hunting. I'd scare the deer! So I sat, shivered uncontrollably, and checked to see if Anne was online to chat. She wasn't. So I checked for Laurie, our other beloved writer friend. She was online.
"Laurie? Are you there?"
"yes"
"are you sitting down?"
"WHY?!"
"I'm in a tree standing, hunting, I can't scream, but I just got an email from Mary Keeley at Books & Such Literary Agency. She wants to talk to me about representation."
"OMG! JAIME! I just screamed so loud I scared my daughter!' (Laurie's daughter is 2. Poor toddler)

And then the self doubt creeps in. "Talk about". Mary said "Talk about". Not "I will represent you".
A week went by before we had our phone meeting. A week of questioning, doubts, crazy hope, and ridiculous amounts of chatting on FB with Anne and Laurie.

In the end ... the announcement is here for one of us ... I am official!! I have an AGENT!!! And now ... the waiting game continues. Anne still has submissions out there to be reviewed!! My prayer is she can post an announcement like this soon!!

What does this mean for me? It means I have someone intimately involved in the industry representing my book to the publishing houses. Guiding me, coaching me, negotiating for me. Maybe one day in the near future I'll be announcing a due date for my debut book release. In the meantime... enjoy the pics of the day I signed my contract with Books & Such Literary Agency. (and keep Anne's submissions in your prayers!)

I couldn't smile normal. Not when a lifelong dream
is realized!
My Mom and Dad who have been everything to me and
carried this dream in their hearts and souls right
along with me!
Jaime losing her mind with delirious joy--just a tad

The more professional pose. I sucking in my gut so I
wouldn't bust out laughing ... again!

A more natural family picture


_____________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest



50 comments:

  1. WHOOT for Jaime-girl! What a fun ride it's been to share with you! THe Christian publishing industry is amazing. There's just no dog-eat-dog. Don't get me wrong, it IS still a business. But the thousands of prayers, the encouragement, the camaraderie, the laughter and fun. It's been such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, I am so happy for you! God's blessings are always the best. What an exciting time in your life. I look forward to purchasing your first book and the many more to follow. I will keep Anne in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thx, Cheryl! Looking forward to seeing my first book cover :) :) (I'm a cover sucker)

      Delete
    2. Sweet Cheryl! It must be working already, I had an epiphany about my next story this morning! :)

      Delete
  3. Jaime, I am so happy for you! God's blessings are always the best. What an exciting time in your life. I look forward to purchasing your first book and the many more to follow. I will keep Anne in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I already knew the news, but reading this and seeing the joy on your face brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me so happy to see this!!! Congratulations! I can't wait to hold your books in my hot little hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll enjoy it when/if you read it :)

      Delete
  6. Woohoo! Still so excited for you. Yay for the Rookie Bookies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had already heard this too, but I've never had any doubts of your success! As I've said before I want to purchase your first hot off the press autographed copy. I know the right time will come for Anne too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so anxious for Anne now!! I can't wait to see her post one of these blog posts!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, and an autograph for you, sweet Gail, is a given! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm trussing in God's timing and will…..

      Delete
  8. WOOOO!! I am SOOOO happy for you!!!

    Oh my word, in a deer blind?!?! HAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and seriously, I was shaking so hard I did almost fall out!!!!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Love this! You can traumatize my daughter any time with news like that.

    Can't wait for Anne's post to come <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me plot today Laurie!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness. Only you would receive the news strapped into a tree. I love this story!!! And of course I'm super thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, makes me think--never check my emails on my phone while in the bathroom at work!!! LOL

      Delete
    2. LOL thx Sarah. Yeah...hopefully I don't get news of my first book contract next bow season ;)

      Delete
  12. I'm still smiling for you, Jaime!!! I can totally imagine you in that deer stand getting the news. :) So thrilled we share the same wonderful agent!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Face paint and all!!! I looked quite the site. ;)

      Delete
  13. Yea! So excited for you. You'll make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sooo happy for you Jaime!!! Loved your Call Story! As one who whooped and hollered and literally bounced off the walls for fifteen minutes (yes, I clocked them) when I got that long-awaited email from Rachelle, I have to admire your restraint. Had I been in your position, I'm afraid I would have scared off the deer in three counties. :-) Here's hoping more good news is coming your way soon and that I'm happy dancing for you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shaking so hard, Keli. You have no idea. The last time I shook that violently I dislocated my elbow. This was a much more enjoyable shake.

      Delete
  15. I'm so happy for you and so excited that we are Agency Mates!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thrilled for you, Jaime! I don't know you well but I have noticed how hard you've worked and waited for this moment. So looking forward to holding your debut in hand and spreading the word:) And praying for Anne, too, as she moves forward. Blessed times!

    p.s. the pics with your parents are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love Jaime's pics too!

      Delete
    2. Blessed times indeed!! So right, there, Laura, and THANKS! :)

      Delete
  17. Jaime,

    You have NO idea how thrilled I am for you - I just KNEW it was coming! I have been praying for you & Anne for some time, & will continue to. Looking forward to getting that book - also, autographed, of course - &, I am a cover person, also! I'm smiling - picturing, in my mind, your reaction (or seemingly, lack of), when you received the news - up in that tree (LOL)! Anne's time is coming, also - in God's timing. Congrats, & hugs!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are like gold Bonnie!! Priceless.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I KNOW I shouldn't over-do the similes but in this case--so true and worth it!! LOL

      Delete
    3. Can I make a horrid horrid admission?? WHAT ON EARTH ARE SIMILES!?!?!?!?!

      Delete
  18. Jaime,Welcome to the Books & Such family. As you can tell, we're a pretty sober-faced bunch, so you may have to tone it down a bit to fit in. : ) Seriously, welcome to the Rookie Bookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Thx Richard. I'll try to tone it down ;)

      Delete
  19. Hahaha! Strapped to a tree??? I LOVE IT! I was Christmas shopping in a packed chocolate store when I got my call from my agent that we'd received an offer on my first book. You should have heard me whoop! But tied to a tree? That's awesome! What a memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. And I didn't even share my husband's reaction. He was in another tree and I'd just texted him about wishing I"d remembered to put on my down jacket layer 'cause I was freezing. Then I texted him I GOT AN AGENT!!! OMG and his response was priceless: "cool about the agent. yeah, your down jacket would have made you much warming. Will need to remember that tomorrow."
      LOL I did not marry an uber reactive man ;)

      Delete
  20. YAY!! Congratulations. :) That is FABULOUS new!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bahaa, I'm laughing over your hubby's reaction. That would be my hubby also. Silly men. ;) YAY!! I almost feel like it's just as exciting for us too, since we have been "here" with you during it all! I can only imagine the ironicness (yes, I made that up) of finding out while having to be quiet deer hunting. LOL. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this is ALL of our story--you all have shared in Anne and my pains and agonies. We love our blog readers!!!! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)