Monday, November 11, 2013

Sweeter Than Honey

Psalm 199The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. 10They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. 11Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward.…


"When my father said jump, we said how high." Have you heard those words? 

My father was a junior high math teacher, and we were very much in tune with "that voice" and when it was serious business.  We had a real respect, some may say fear, for our father's way of doing things.  Things like "keep your commitments" and "keep your word." Things like teaching me I could choose  to do anything I wanted, but I couldn't be free of the consequences. Things like: "be responsible" and "remember who you are." Those are the things I remember learning.

Some may say the times have changed, or no one does it like that anymore. 

No, it's 1950s or the 1980s, but there is something inherently good about boundaries. Good and bad. Right and wrong. There's something pure about not wanting to fall out of favor with my father that created something good in me.

Something sweet. Something I chose. 

And so it is with my heavenly Father. Choosing to follow His statutes is sweeter than honey. 


We just harvested our honey this month, and it's tradition to taste that first sample of the harvest together. It's sort of like wine tasting. Is it rich? Is it full? Is it minty? Is it clover? Dark, light? 

But no matter the judgement, it's always sweet. Exquisitely sweet. Like none other. 
So it is when we walk in the way the Lord has set for us.

And if you find you've wandered far from the way set for you, come back. 
Come home and taste the sweetness of the Father's love.

P. S. After I scheduled this to post, I realized it's Veteran's Day. And though I'm a Mennonite pacifist (seriously--I should have given today's post to Jaime!), I want to express my gratefulness to those who've sacrificed for the freedoms I enjoy. God Bless you and your families, may you find peace in your souls and your lives.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter




7 comments:

  1. Loved your post today, Anne. You're right...there's something so good, and comforting even, about boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming you and your family are beekeepers? Interesting profession. Have you read The Secret Life of Bees?

    I recalled it was Veterans Day when I went to Facebook and noticed many photos of veterans posted.

    Thanks for this nice blog post.

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecelia. I've never read TSLOB. Ted has been a beekeeper for over ten years. He runs the 4-H club. We love giving it as gifts also.

      Delete
    2. It sounds exciting, but, I'd be afraid of getting stung. You should read the novel. Since you're a beekeeper, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. The Lord is always sweeter than life itself! Honey is one of the purest healthiest foods. You should consider sending some in a giveaway, ha.
    My 90 year old Father-in-law served in the navy during WWII. He was in the battle of Omaha Beach, one of the bloodiest of the war. I'm so glad he survived! I am thankful for all our service men and women and their sacrifices made for our freedom. I don't ever want to take it for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I have thought about sending honey as a gift! I wasn't sure how it would travel in the mail. I'd have to special pack it. But sounds like a good idea.

      I'm glad your FIL lived a long full life to share with you, and thankful for my freedoms!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Anne! God's love is so sweet, and He is always looking out for our best. I'm impressed that you can harvest honey! Wow! I love buying honey from local farms.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)