Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm Thankful For...

If my mother raised me to be anything--it was to be thankful.

Every night at bedtime when she said our prayers with us, we regularly thanked God for our beds and a roof over our heads.



She would thank God when there wasn't a huge semi barreling down on our tailpipe as we made the turn off the highway to our house. She thanked God for sleep and that our bodies were made to heal.

The sense that life, health, food, and shelter should never be taken for granted was ingrained in us by my mother. Nothing is assumed. Everything is extra ordinary. We aren't immune to anything. It takes work to keep our hearts soft as flesh in a world of stone and pain.

Tonight I'm thankful for a soft pillow and a bed, and a van that keeps running. I'm thankful for the whisper of my Sustainer, whose breath lifts my wings yet again each morning.

What are you thankful for?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Thankful that our bodies are meant to heal themselves - eye opening. I've never thought about that before. So true!!
    I am thankful for my 4 kids who think it is normal to say "I love you" multiple times a day, because it is what they are feeling at that moment. I grew up in a family that never said those words, ever. I aim to leave a different legacy on MY kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, "I love that" that you are creating a different legacy than you were given. Every generation has this amazing opportunity!

      Delete
  2. I'm thankful for my sight, hearing, touch, taste (sometimes too much) and smell. I've heard various people say, what has God done for me? I've worked hard and earned it all by myself. They don't stop to think that any of their senses could be taken away at any time. Being able to walk, move my arms, lift things, even get out of bed in the morning, all blessings from God that I'm thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Gail. My writing journey actually started 14 yrs ago after a car accident I was in. I wasn't severely injured, but I experienced enough pain and suffering to have an amazing appreciation for not having been paralyzed. Some might say that is rather melodramatic. But for me, I remember where I was stand, washing the dishes, staring out the kitchen window, watching my husband play with our young children, having that spirit revelation that I'd been spared worse--and therefore--as if I'd been given back all that I had--the deep implications being the question of whether I was really using all that God had given me. Was I really doing all that He'd intended me to? Was I living my life to the fullest--because I could walk, talk, feed myself, go where I want, when I want? Life is a gift. Every day is a gift. Breath is gift. Movement is gift. It was life changing for me.

      Delete
    2. Exactly Anne! After having gone through breast cancer two years ago I realize more and more that life is a gift. Given by God, not to be taken for granted.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So profound. The root of it all - thankful for coffee.

      Delete
    2. Me too Jaime. And like I saw posted on Pintrest: I'm thankful to the person that looked at a coffee bean and decided adding it to hot water would make a great drink!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)