Monday, October 7, 2013

When Chaos Ensues -- Meditate!

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Lord, my rock and my redeemer." - Psalm 19:14

Some weeks are just crazy ridiculous. Case in point: the croup visited us this week. I was first--of course, the croup is typically called a "bad cold" when you're an adult. Then came my husband and Kokomo Jo. But, when it visits 18 month old Peter Pan, it sounds like the whooping cough meets pneumonia. Needless to say, there's a reason why my book report on Friday never got posted.

So today, with the kiddos under Gramma's watchful eye and energized care, I dragged my tired limbs up a tree to bow hunt. I grew up in the midwest, so bow hunting to us is like sun tanning to a Californian. It's just a necessary part of life.

Three hours later, I felt my soul revived. Sometimes in the midst of chaos retreating into silence and meditation is more healing than drinking a bottle of Nyquil. It's cathartic.

I'll admit, I didn't spend much time in deep prayer or mental worship. I just...rested. I plotted on my next book, I Facebooked a little (God bless smart phones), but most of the time, I sat still (because you have to when you hunt) and watched Creation. The gargantuan squirrels (not sure what they're eating but holy squirrel on steroids!), the tiny hawk, and no deer. None. Just me and my bow and quiet time.

I think the Lord restores in quiet time--but it's hard to find silence in a world of chaos (and smart phones--lol). But I believe the meditation of our hearts can be pleasing simply because it stills us enough to recognize His glory when we are a coughing, snotty mess.

What's your meditative past time? How has God blessed you recently in your heart of hearts? 

11 comments:

  1. That's my husband's meditative past time. I'd rather take a hot bath. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baths are good too. I just get bored quick. :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing way to slow down and receive from the Lord. I have such a hard time slowing down. Crazy as it may sound, my trip to the Laundromat last night was refreshing. I got to drink coffee and read as I waited for the loads to finish. So often I complain about not having a washer or dryer but God uses even that to bless me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laundromat's rock! You feel like you're accomplishing something while you sit and read a book! ENJOY!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ahhh, well...candles, suds, books, and hot water ... yeah I can see why! :)

      Delete
  4. We were kind of on the same wave-length today. I blogged about what refreshed me and recharged my creativity. :) That picture of you is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Yup, us mid-westerners are born and raised to hunt. lol
    Good for you and I'm so happy you relaxed and found your quiet time. Here's hoping to a deer the next time! (how about a big old 8 point?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY "go-to" for meditation is, always, my praise & worship music. It always calms me, & takes me to another level - I play my favorites over & over, the cd's are almost worn out. I would be devastated without music OR books!

    My very favorite form of meditation is to sit & look at the ocean (while playing praise & worship music), but visiting the ocean is something I seldom get to do (I am long overdue for an ocean visit).

    Praying your little one is feeling better by now, Jaime, & hope this week is easier for you! Sending you a sisterly hug!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)