Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What on EARTH is Nanowrimo?

I don't know either. The weird name stands for something. LOL But what I DO know, for all you loyal readers out there, it's like Extreme Boot Camp for writers. Basically, you write a novel in a month. Yep. That simple. Write away, write away, write away. 50,000 words in 30 days. So maybe not QUITE a novel since a full-length novel is closer to 90,000 words. Still. Break it down and do the math, that's like: 1,666.66666666667 words a day. Or in my case, 2,272.7272727273 words a day if you remove weekends from the equation.

Yes. I'm one of those nutso writers who's going for it. And I know weekends at our house ... they aren't the kind where you wake on Saturday AM, grab your coffee and settle in on the couch for a blissful day of writing. That WAS my house for the first 10 years of marriage until we got the bright idea of adding children to the equation. I love them. Like crazy! But children + writing = insanity.

So... Anne and I love how you faithful readers enjoy sneak peeks into a writer's world. Here's some of what I've done to prepare for a month of mass word count:


  1. Purchased copious amounts of coffee ("copious" is my new favorite word. I'm overusing it everywhere)
  2. Outlined my hero and heroine. I know where they're from, what drives them, their darkest moment in life, how it formed them, their biggest ache, largest dream, smallest goal, and what happens if none of it is realized
  3. Researched. Just enough research to get me through my 1st draft. I'm not a rabid researcher. I love history but I suck at details. So I've got enough to make it passable and I can add the wealth and richness on my edits
  4. Created my villain. What makes him tick? What makes you want to empathize with him? Does he redeem himself somehow in the end or is he just that bad?
  5. Crafted a rough draft in my head. Scenes. Interactions. Events. 
And so, as November 1st comes, I'll be buckling down and bonding with my laptop. How do I do that when I work full time as an HR Director, have 2 kids under the age of 4 and several commitments at church? Yep. I'm not entirely sure! LOL 50K is a huge number for me. But why not try, eh? I usually write over lunch, in the evening when the kids are finally in bed, in the car waiting outside for my appointment to arrive at our lunch meetings, etc. I'm thankful I'm not a writer who needs massive blocks of time to be productive. If I were ... ummm....yeah ... 

SO!! What's a big challenge you've taken on before? A marathon? A solo in front of hundreds? Do share! I could use some cheerleaders ;)


______________________________________


Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. You can do it! I will be doing my best to work hard alongside you even though I'm not doing the traditional NaNo. I did run a half marathon before, and if I can do that, then we both can do anything haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's pump out the words this November!! WOOT!

      Delete
  2. My biggest challenge was a counted cross-stitch I started for my son more than 10 years ago. It had an eagle flying over some trees and mountains. The colors were so close on the eagle that it was frustrating. Each year I would say I'd finish it for him for his birthday, then when that didn't happen I'd say I'd finish it for Christmas. I put it away several times. I had to search the house for it this last time. Couldn't remember where I put it. Yay, I finally finished it this year and had it professionally framed. He's finally getting it for Christmas! It has his favorite scripture stitched on it too, Isaiah 40:31. I've cross-stitched and crocheted many things, but this is my biggest accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!! Now you realize, you must share pictures on my Facebook page so I can see it!! :)

      Delete
  3. You go girl!! What a great goal - I hope you have a wonderful experience in Nov doing this. :) You sound like you are prepared too!
    Our biggest thing we did was an 8 mile walk/run around Mackinac Island with our 8 and 10 year old. We "trained" ahead of time with them. It was quite the experience and I'm so happy we did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 1 mile run/walk would be a feat of training for me, so kudos for the 8 miles and what great family fun!!!!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo! I'm joining MBT WriMo so I'll be chugging (copious amounts of) coffee with you. It's my first go at it and I'm absolutely unprepared. All the way down to what story I want to work on...I've got a couple in the hat, so I suppose I'll draw one at random on Friday and panster it all the way....LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Random drawing begin! LOL I'm doing the MBT WriMo too actually, rather than the national site.

      Delete
  5. I've had many challenges, in my lifetime, but, my last big challenge was probably, when I worked as a house-parent in a children's home for abused, & neglected, children. I worked there for almost 7 years, before retiring, 7 years ago. The word challenging, was an under-statement, & the reward was seeing the positive changes in a lot of the children - when shown love, encouragement, & positive reinforcement.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)