Tuesday, October 1, 2013

This Is How You Do It

 Let's be real. We all look like crap in the morning. Let me have my no-make-up-Oprah moment and take a gander to your left. Yep. That's me. At 6 AM. Bright and peppy and looking through my big plastic frames. The dope-eyed look is especially fetching when I'm wearing attractive jogging pants and an oversized sweatshirt.

I'm contemplating the facade we bring to our daily world. Really. Let's face it. If you could roll out of bed in the morning and just head straight for your coffee and straight to work, life would be so much simpler. No 20 minutes in the bathroom to curl the hair, draw on fake eye lines and lip lines and eyebrows and con tour your cheekbones with roses.

Oh, the house? Just get me started on the house. I have my clean days. I really do. In fact, I obsess about them. Dream about them. Drive the family nuts about them. I live in rural nowheres-ville so I'm sure you'll be dropping in unannounced and good heavens we must be together, people!

But we all have the secret closets of clutter. Oh shush. You have one. And if you don't, you're either not real, don't have kids, aren't married, and or have the worst case of OCD in which case I'm a little jealous and a little sad for you all rolled into one.

Then, we have the not-so secret spaces called: THE LIVING AREA.

This is the space where everyone dumps everything. The mail, the garbage, the Walmart receipts, the crayons and markers, the Bible story take-home sheet from Sunday school, the water bottles, the dish towel, the over-sized coloring books, and yes, the banana peel. This place isn't so secret and it's centralized in your house. It's the most seen, most prevalent location and makes your secret closet an absolute joke. Might as well drag that out into the open for all the good it's doing. (Thank the good Lord my mother swept the floor before I took this picture or I'd have to add to it: dried hot dog pieces, raisins, Doritos chip fragments, and a dead housefly).

Oh yes. I'm still going. Remember that thing you sleep on called a bed? Does any one else find at the end of the day it's become the laundry dump site? I have to beep-beep-beep my warning just to enter the darn bedroom. A king-sized bed makes for the best folding table and diaper changing pad. (notice my husband's not-so-lucky pillow at receiving spot of the 18 month old's "end" zone?)

It was the amount of laundry that convinced me to stick to a family sized 4 and no more. Seriously, anyone who has more than 2 kids and works full time is nuts. Ok, so maybe that's three quarters of America ... but then that explains the state of the nation ... our kids make us nuts and ... that's a wrap.

My point today is ... no one is perfect. So why are we trying to be? Life is life. It's beautiful and raunchy at the same time. Perfection is a joke man created when we thought we could be gods. Our success rate at that is O-h for a trillion-billion. And if you are perfect, well shut up about it then, because you'll have to censor the pictures above or just pretend it's the worst horror show you've ever witnessed.

Well, I've wrapped myself into a nice package for work today. Here's the real me, 'cause when all is said and done, if we can't be our honest to gosh selves on social media ... what do we have left but one big fat ugly facade?

Here's to honesty ... the pursuit of life and all God has to offer us ... and plain simple truth. Because that, my friends, is how we do it around the CCC Blog. ;)



______________________________________


Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook

Find me on Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. ...and that's why I love her....she keeps me below the boiling point on the reality meter! Jaime texted me a preview of this yesterday--a super-shot in the bum, more like a kick to get off my unrealistic high horse and let some unessentials slide off my platter this month. So, here's your permission slip to let things slip a little. Hug your kids. Catch some zzzZZZ's and kick "too busy" to the curb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a slip n slide!!! :) Slippin' on the cleanin' and slidin' on the pickin' up! :)

      Delete
  2. You just made my morning!!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you just made my coffee! I love my admin. FOLKS! HERE SHE IS! MY ADMIN!! JULIE BAKER!

      Delete
  3. I just think you're awesome, Jaime! Thanks for sharing the realities of life! Yes, we can fix ourselves up and fix our houses up, but the reality is that it's hard to keep it all looking nice all the time. I can SO relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life's realities are way better when shared and commiserated! :)

      Delete
  4. Who said you could post pics of my house on a clean day?? ;)
    I have four kids--that IS a full time job. And my couch, that place you would normally invite guests to sit if they come in (and if they don't come in, they can see it from the front door--quick, act like we're not home everyone!)...yeah, that's our folding table. Not hidden away in some bedroom. Sigh.
    Thankfully, you have a job to make you get up and ready. It might be 1pm before I find the shower and get dressed today (pleeease, no one come to the door!). All depends on the kids, their homeschool efforts, and their bicker-level (that full time job I have...).

    Loved this post Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait! This is YOUR house? YES! This is CJoy's house everyone, not mine. Nope NOT mine. ;)

      Delete
  5. AMEN! And how did you get pictures of my house?? No really, how did you get in, the dog didn't even bark?! It's about time someone brought this to life - it's OK to have a lived in house. It's not like mold is growing anywhere. (don't look in the fridge, please)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I broke into everyone's house ;)

      Delete
  6. I gotta say, this goes right along with the last couple weeks that God's been knocking on my door and delivering little epiphanies. Thanks for keeping it real, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have given up cleaning because while I'm cleaning the top of a room, the bottom is getting destroyed. I say we all play on the floor with our kids and save cleaning for the last 15 minutes before someone comes over. If you drop by unannounced, that's all you! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you! I think every woman can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! And yet we pretend we're all perfect ... stupid us. ;)

      Delete
  9. Just wish I had a closet area as big as yours to mess up - my clothes are hanging (& lying, lol) in closets in 3 different rooms, & I still have a huge pile on my bedroom chair. I am retired, & live alone, so don't have an excuse for a messy house - other than it's just more fun to read, be online, etc.. Life is TOO short to sweat the small things! Thanks for the reminder, Jaime, love you, your sense of humor, & dose of reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind, that closet is shared with my husband, who, while not a clothes hog, has a lot of clothes for work, hunting, play, wood cutting, church, etc. I own about 1/2 that closet. :P

      Delete
  10. This is real life! (For me at least) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) real life is sometimes far more entertaining than our pretend perfects ;)

      Delete
  11. Coffee Cups up girls--it's a wrap. See you in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)