Monday, September 30, 2013

Need Some Perspective?

Has your To-Do list given you tunnel vision?

Can't see beyond the pile of laundry cluttering the pathway through your laundry room?

Wading through the piles of junk mail to find that one parent letter from your son's teacher--the one that says you owe a payment on a field trip----today?

Can't remember the last time you had your car serviced, your oil changed?

Hoping your husband or the little people in your life will help rake the piling leaves that will over-run you this Fall?

Has your To-Do list overtaken you, chewed you up, and spit you out this week? Attacking you with more on your list, faster than you can check them off?

Ever wonder if anyone else ever changes the toilet paper roll but you? Or put the toothpaste lid back on? Or do you wish you had someone in your life to clean up after? Little fingerprints. A dirty coffee mug. An empty jar of Jif peanut butter littering that counter you just cleaned. Wishing your nest was full, or that you had a nest at all?

Sometimes we could all use just a huge dose of perspective.
Well, I can anyway.

A few months ago, we made reservations with friends at a campground an hour away from home. We penciled it in. But of course, when the time arrives, we can think of a thousand other things we could be doing instead. By Friday night when my husband and I got home from work, we had two hours until dark--and hadn't packed a thing. We kept our doubts to ourselves and set about the rush to prepare, but in my head I was seriously wondering--was worth it?

As we pulled out the drive and down the road--it was finally the moment I'd waited for--driving away into the sunset.


And then I looked back and felt it--perspective....


No matter where we are in life, no matter who we are, if we are citizens of God's kingdom we can rejoice in being a part of a much larger story than or own piddly To-Do list. We can rejoice that we are not alone.

So when you need perspective, sometimes it takes:
--pressing onward when you doubt it's worth it.
--a shot of humor, or several shots of hilarity
--spending a little time with others

Oh, and S'mores always help!  The little get away was SO worth it! 

But mostly, don't forget (Philippians 3:20-4:1): 
"Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!"



11 comments:

  1. This was exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thank you so much for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again God has put something in front of me just when I was despairing. I couldn't sleep last night for the weight of my own to-do list giving me anxiety. I was beginning to think none of this is worth it. I just can't keep up. That verse will be front and center today as I remember He is in charge and I can stand firm in Him!! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Susan, I'm so blessed that this touched you today. Everywhere I go, I hear women feeling so overwhelmed with "too-busy"---rest in this this week. ;)

      Delete
    2. And it ended up with a sudden trip to my sis in law's to make applesauce that lasted 6 hours! (I kept thinking of your camping trip) How perfect I read this before that happened and I realized I CAN drop everything and help her out. We had the most fun ever and today I can still do my housework. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I needed this SO much today. Thanks bunches, Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Anne - for giving us some "perspective"! Noting the entry time of your post - hope you were able to get some much deserved rest over the weekend - before you tackle another week's "to-do" list! I ALWAYS enjoy the wisdom, joy, & fun, that you & Jaime impart to us through your posts!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. I pre-set my post times! And I always enjoy knowing that you pray for us! You are also an amazing encourager! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this blog post, Anne. And if you feel this way:
    >>>Or do you wish you had someone in your life to clean up after?
    Come to my house tonight and help me put dinner on the table & clean up the dishes! Sorry, I just couldn't resist throwing that out there! :-)

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it true though? I know that it's so easy to get tunnel vision and forget that someone else has just the opposite situation--but the feeling--that overwhelming-ness--is the same trick of the Evil one--to make us think we are alone...SO, coming over to help someone else is the perfect prescription for perspective!! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)