Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Preparing for a Writer's Conference

One thing I loved finding out last week was how many of you who visit us here are READERS!! This is so cool, because let's face it, YOU are the ones who are our critics, our friends, and our comrades in the pain and agony of pursuing publishing.

So here's what's up (and why my blog post is getting online late this morning)...

ANNE AND I ARE GOING TO CONFERENCE! 

What does that mean? I don't know either. Outside of sweaty palms, nervous giggling, wondering if we're chasing pipe dreams ... we're just a mess. An absolute mess. The conference we're going to is for published and aspiring writers. It's a great opportunity to network, meet up with old friends, and -- gulp -- pitch our work to agents and editors.

So if you're a reader, here's what goes into prepping for a conference:


  1. One sheets -- these are basically the back cover of a book that you pick and read in the bookstore to determine if it peaks your interest. So as a writer, we have to write the text and make it gripping enough for said agent/editor to go "oh yeah, send it to me".
  2. Elevator Pitch - this is what we say when someone asks "what's your book about?" It needs to be under 30 seconds to avoid the glazed eyes and the darted glances toward the nearest escape route. It's ridiculously hard to compose. Imagine squishing a 97,000 word novel into 3 sentences? Yeah. That's why we're stressing.
  3. Synopsis -- only slightly better than the elevator pitch. It's anywhere from 1-4 pages long and it summarize the entire book. Well, I'll ya, if I WANTED to write a four page book I would have ... so I hate synopsis like Pharaoh hates the plagues.
  4. Proposal - on the OFF chance an agent/editor wants to see what you've got, it's good to have a proposal handy. This includes the synopsis, an author bio, a marketing analysis, comparative books in your genre, and the first three chapters of your novel.
Panicking yet? Yep. So are we! Writing the book is the easy part :)

SO September 12th our journey begins... and we want to take you with us!!!! I'll post periodic blog updates throughout the weekend. Short blurbs and maybe some pics if I have time. So tell us now, what do YOU the reader want to know on our behind-the-scenes tour at a writer's conference? Speak now ... or forever ... well, who am I fooling, there won't be peace until after conference is over ... unless we land that multi-million book deal ;) ;)

11 comments:

  1. I will see you there! Cookie party on Thursday night in our room--our being me, Gabrielle Meyer, Lindsay Harrel, and Cynthia Herron. We'll be texting the time for sure. And of course if you have room and um..spare time...bring some. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COOOOOOOKIIIIIES! Yeah, we'll come, with cookies on.

      Delete
  2. Okay I'll actually be there, so I'm not technically a "reader." But one of my favorite parts of the conference is all the stuff that goes on outside classrooms...the late night conversations, the crazy rounds of hugs on that first day, the crazy rounds of hugs on that last day, getting all dressed up for the banquet...all of it. I'm like a giddy little kid when I'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGGIES coming your way ... and I don't mean the diapers ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. me. neither. AND our 3 hour car ride there and back to just TALK!

      Delete
  4. Ooh...I'll be there, too! Thurs evening through Monday's Post Conference Session (then a rush to the airport). Woohoo! Definitely a huge first for me and yes, a TON to do in the next three weeks. In the meantime, I'm like a giddy schoolgirl myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOOOOOO!!!!!! Look us up! We'll be the crazies in the corner drinking massive jugs of coffee

      Delete
    2. Perfect! I'll grab a jug of coffee and pull up a chair. ;)

      Delete
  5. Praying for an inspirational, peaceful, successful time for all of you - what is meant to be, will be, if God is in control!

    Please post pics & notes on each leg of the conference, if possible - readers are interested in knowing the process a writer goes through to get a book published.

    Thank you & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL, Bonton!!! Lots of pictures to post as we go so keep checking the blog :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)