Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Seasons & Visions

Recently I was browsing a literary agent's blog about writing frustrations. Basically she was talking about roadblocks writers hit along the road to publication. As a beginning writer, there are many speed bumps, one being: "am I really doing this?"

Any time someone tries something new, that urge to pinch yourself and give up is strong. A new job, going back to school, parenting, marriage--they all have moments in common when overwhelming questions seem to blur the original vision. I've seldom met anyone who mapped out the events and dreams of their life, and decades later live to tell that it went exactly as they planned and imagined. But I see that in writing, as in life, there are seasons of growth and stretching.

Our pastor reminded us this week of the importance of vision. He reminded us of Proverbs 29:18: "where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint; but blessed is the one who heeds wisdom's instruction." 

Based on Habakkuk 2: 1-3, he stressed:
--waiting and watching for God's direction
--remembering that "a vision" implies "to see" a vision, a dream, or image
--the revelation must be written down
--the revelation waits for the appointed time
--be patient for it to come to pass

He also admonished:
--"Vision is birthed through prayer and seeking the face of God."
--"Fear is a vision killer."

As Jaime and I prepare our manuscripts to present at ACFW's (American Christian Fiction Writer's) conference in September, we wait for the vision. We seek God's will. We write down our goals and presentations. We've studied the presenters, agents, and editors. We've been shaking with fear, wondering if this will be our season, praying not to be crushed if it's not.

We keep our eyes on God--the WORD. The One who was, and is, and is to come. The One who was in the beginning.

What vision do you need? For your life? 
For your work, family, marriage?
Are you taking the time to fall before the face of God to seek His vision?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter



3 comments:

  1. I remember when I was a little girl I asked God to place desires in my heart that were His will, so my desires would become His. I have to say, though some visions have changed with age and maturity, God has been ever so faithful to bring about the desires of my heart. I long to have His visions continue to fill my heart as I go forward. It's just the patience thing that gets me in trouble... I can't wait to meet you and Jaime in person in September! I'm praying for your appointments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the Lord wants me to continue to write. I've had this desire for almost 2 decades, and it never fades. Granted, I haven't had as many books published as I want, but, I need to learn to be patient and leave everything in Jesus's hands.

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is faithful Gabrielle. RIght, the patience part is hard.
    I can't wait to meet you too. I'm getting psyched. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)