Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hello Chicago! From Back Yard Hick

Here's me in Chicago on my week long work trip. I got the fantastic 11th floor view of the parking lot ala balcony. Score! There's an el cheapo coffee pot in my room with equally la cheapa coffee. And the mattress rivals granite for comfort. BUT! It's a 5 star hotel and spa...yes, really ... so I'm going to IMAGINE it's more lush than the Radisson I stayed in at Milwaukee in January.

Do you ever go someplace where you feel totally OUT of place? I spent the day in downtown Chicago. I'm sure it was all presumed on my part, but I felt like the world's numero uno (I'm into Spanish quips today) hick. In fact, I wouldn't have been surprised if my Chaco flip flips were banned from their Starbucks. (even if I DID pay $65 for them).

Regardless, I made the most of my free day sans employees and
children. I edited, answered some work emails, drank coffee, and edited some more. All the while acutely aware of the brunette beside me who made a size zero look fat and wore her orange silk camisole like a $200 investment.

I don't even know what brand my brown t-shirt is .... and suddenly my $35 Maurices blue jeans seem ... blech.

Did I say I didn't care? I really didn't. It's time Chicago got invaded by a bow hunting writer who climbs rocks for fun, pulls ticks from my shirts (to Lindsay Harrell's horror) and eats venison sausage for lunch. I'm not a vegan, I don't wear a size zero (or 10 for that matter) and my eyeglasses were bought on Zenni Optical for $35. So there.

But boy of boy did I have a doozy of an idea! I'm exploring the concept of premises for books. Probably because I have to summarize my current manuscript into a one line summary (easier said than done). Here's the premise I came up with for today's novel idea (pun intended):

1895 - When the daughter of a Northwoods logger finds herself transplanted into the uppity district of Milwaukee - she tries to survive the hardships of elite society as she's ensnared in a war between liquor barons and their two very eligible bachelor sons.

Just a thought from today's Back Yard Hick, brought to you by:
Woodland Ticks - We've Got Your Back
and by Pine Tree Sap and Soak - It'll Get You Out of Any Sticky Situation

Any new travel spots spark novel ideas in your brain lately? 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. it is! outside of missing my family!

      Delete
  2. First of all, you're hilarious!! Second, I love the book idea! Have fun in the big city being yourself...have you ever people watched and wondered, "why do I ever think about what I look like??" You could be walking through starbucks in your bikini that's three sizes too small like they do here! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, well, the glory of living in the water park mecca, huh? ;) bikini busts! ew.

      Delete
  3. The horror, the horror!! :)

    I think we've all felt "out of place" before. It's awesome you can laugh about it and appreciate the awesome things about yourself and where you're from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everything is possible with a good cup of coffee! :)

      Delete
  4. That book idea sounds super fun!

    And I feel like a tin cup at a tea party quite often myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but tin cups have SO much character ;)

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, love the last bit about the woodland ticks. ;-) A few weeks ago I escaped to Starbucks for some writing time and prayed for a miserable family of four that wouldn't let me concentrate. What? Starbucks doesn't count as a "travel spot"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get too many ideas --- it doesn't help that I seek out museums and historical sites. If anyone asks, I have dibs on Bisbee Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm....Bisbee? Love the name! that in itself inspires ideas. But, I'll steer clear. Your claim has been staked ;)

      Delete
  7. Aw, girl, from one country-lovin' girl to another, I hear ya. I lived in NYC for a year of my life and though it was thrilling (in equally good and bad ways), it was definitely not my fave. I'd rather be climbing trees or sitting barefoot on the porch. Glad you got some writing work done, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. barefoot and climbing ... two of my favorite things!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)