Friday, July 26, 2013

Book Report: On Distant Shores - By, Sarah Sundin

Ahhhhh, another wartime romance, complete with bombs, nurses, and -- pharmacists? 'Cause, yeah, Sarah Sundin, when I think of World War II I think of pharmacies. It was inevitable, really ;)

On Distant Shores is another keeper on my book shelf. But then, all of Sarah's are. Being a lover of everything World War II, it's like reading history sandwiched between great fiction.

Characters: I have to give Sarah credit. One thing I watch for with seasoned authors is repetitive characters. Meaning: characters who start having similar personalities as other characters in their previous novels. Sarah does a very good job of keeping them different. While Georgie was a great female lead, I have to admit I really loved Hutch, the war pharmacist. I mean, what girl doesn't swoon over a pharmacist in uniform?

Setting: Sicily. A romantic land torn by bombs and leaving orphans in their wake. I enjoyed the starry skies Georgie and Hutch shared, as well as a heightened sense of awareness of the pharmacy tent, the nurses role in flight, the racing for your life from live fire, and transporting glass bottled meds over deep rutted roads in a jeep.

Plot: It's war. That's enough plot. But Sarah doesn't rely on just history to color her novel. She really does take us into the pharmaceutical side of the war. Who would've thought of that? I mean, I just assumed medicine appeared in crates and random doctors distributed them during the war. I had no clue. I also love the orphan thread she interlaced into the book. A new one for Sarah, as (at least I don't remember) she hasn't taken the route of weaving in children into her stories. I enjoyed Lucia and her snappy Italian baby browns.

Overall it's a winner. As always. I love Sarah's books. They keep me enthralled from cover to cover! 


And head over to Sarah's
Blog where you can meet her and enter to win a copy!  




______________________________________


Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

12 comments:

  1. Okay, I've been saying for MONTHS that I need to read a Sarah Sundin book. Seriously, I'm heading over to Amazon now, because I'm kicking myself that it hasn't happened yet... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update! Just ordered her first book!

      Delete
    2. HELLO!!!! You'll never be the same again. EVER. Enjoy :) :)

      Delete
  2. Jaime - as always, you crack me up!! Now obviously since I married a pharmacist (and I'm one myself), I naturally see the heroic in the profession :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed Hutch - and Lucia too. It's hard to work children into wartime books, but she just popped in, an unusual event for an outline writer like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Lucia's character -- but on retrospect, was she Italian or Sicilian??? AHH! Pitfalls of reading too fast.

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa - thanks :) I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, Jaime, Karen Barnett's new book Mistaken also has a pharmacist hero - 1920s small-town drugstore. Pharmacists are the new big thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess!!! Maybe I'll make my next 1890's hero a villain for my bookshelf of unpubbed manuscripts ;) ;) lol

      Delete
    2. Go pharmacists! I don't have any non-fictional pharmacy heroes (other than you, Sarah) in my life, I just thought it would make a nice connection with the Prohibition theme in Mistaken. It's been fun debuting our heroic pharmacists at around the same time. :)

      Delete
    3. Go pharmacists! I don't have any non-fictional pharmacy heroes (other than you, Sarah) in my life, I just thought it would make a nice connection with the Prohibition theme in Mistaken. It's been fun debuting our heroic pharmacists at around the same time. :)

      Delete
  5. Jaime - Lucia's Italian. Hutch meets her not far from Naples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This book sounds good! I especially find the pharmacy element appealing!

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)