Monday, June 3, 2013

When You're Abandoned and Alone

my baby on the left *hiccup, sob*
There's nothing worse than watching your little girl walk away from you ... grown up, Georgie Monkey in tow, to join her little friends and escape into the world of independence. Nothing. Worse.

Anne and I are at opposite ends of raising children--which is funny to me since not that many years separate us. (guess I got started WAY late in life). As Anne guides her daughter through the after-high-school stages of life (such exciting times), I'm guiding my baby into her own shoes and sending her off to the playground. Literally.

I watched on Saturday as she traveled five-hundred yards away to play on a playground, alone, surrounded by children she didn't know. My Kokomo-Jo isn't socially skilled. She's introverted, shy, overwhelmed by too many people and too much talking, and rigid in her routine. She stood, solo, as children whipped by her, laughing and racing. I could almost feel her angst as she observed, then played...alone...by herself. Her dear friend Mo-Mo (pictured to the left) wasn't there to offer security, and yet, she felt the tug to venture away from Mommy.

Thirty minutes later, after solitude amidst the crowd of hooligans, she strode steadily toward me. As she drew closer, I saw the wobble in her chin, the tear on her cheek. Her arms stretched out and she fell into my embrace, curled her legs around my middle and laid her head on my shoulder. No. The other kids weren't mean. No. She wasn't hurt. She was lonely. My baby was abandoned by the world. No one reached out. No one offered to play. No one ... but Mommy was there, not far away ... watching. If it is in God's will, Mommy will always be there. Well into her after-high-school years.

It was a poignant reminder to me of our relationship with the Lord. How He lets us walk through life, stumble, get up, keep going, and struggle. Yet, we know, He is sitting nearby, watching and available the moment the tear fills our eyes, or we just need that comforting glance that, yes, He is there. We are not alone.

Psalm 121:2-4

New International Version (NIV)
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber.

Today, I want to wrap myself in the arms of the One who parents me and loves me--for I am His own.  

______________________________________


Jaime Wright -

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Very touching and great reminder. I love learning from children. I'll never forget the morning I was struck with how we should run into our Abba (Daddy) Father's arms when I saw a little toddler get up in the middle of the church service and run down the aisle (of course he had been sitting in one of the very front pews) and out the back yelling, "Daddy, Daddy..." with his arms open wide. At that moment I thought, "Wow... that is exactly how God wants us to come to him." :-)And, it also made me chuckle thinking what some of the church "elders" were thinking . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story, Ritty! And yes, that IS exactly how God wants us to come. He said so. :)

      Delete
  2. It is painful watching our children learn how to manage the v world. I love your analogy. God is always there to run to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heartbreaking sometimes! Sigh. Just want to never see them hurt!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)