Monday, April 29, 2013

Love Is...Doing Dishes With Me...

Today's sermon was about love and joy. 

The pastor put up a list of the love attributes from I Corinthians 13 love chapter. My husband whispered in my ear, "I could do better at number five." I whispered back, "I could do better at number four." He tightened his arm around my shoulder and grinned at me.
An honest confession.

We aren't perfect, oh no. Sometimes I take myself way too seriously. Seriously, I do.

Two weeks before while in line for the church potluck, someone passed us and asked if the Love's were in love. Well, we'd just spent most of the prior afternoon in a little spat. We looked at each other and answered honestly with a smile and wrinkled nose: "well, we love each other, but we don't much like each other today." The older coupler in front of us started to giggle and turned to say, "it's good to be honest." We all giggled.

And it was good to be honest.

Honest confession is a good thing. Sharing honestly helps break the spell of uber-entrenchment of taking sides--of digging in and insisting I'm right. It helps me laugh at myself. It helps me know "I'm not the only one." It lets love and joy spring up again. 

And so when we got home from church today, Ted picked up a dish rag and sidled up beside me at the sink to help with dishes. And all my defenses melted away....

What do you do to get your joy back? Have you picked up a dish rag lately? Made some breakfast to serve in bed? Cleaned your son's room for him? Made a favorite meal? Made a little confession? Laughed at yourself?


I Corinthians 13: 4-7:  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.





4 comments:

  1. I love this. A good dose of reality :) The verse is beautiful. I like the love is not proud... usually our joy comes back when we humble ourselves and apologize.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)