Friday, April 19, 2013

Book Report: A Noble Groom, by Jody Hedlund

Well, Jody ... you did it again. You wrote another winner. Gosh I love Jody's books -- and they just keep getting better and better! If you haven't read Jody's books yet, you're missing out.
 
She envelopes you in German heritage in A Noble Groom. But as is Jody's fashion, you're not overwhelmed with historical facts, nor are you underwhelmed by story. It's a perfect blend of culture, history, life in the 19th Century, and romance.
 
Setting: Jody stays in her state of Michigan, in the German farmlands and the culture of immigrant German miners. I had no idea of the stress these immigrants were under just to maintain ownership of their land. At the mercy of weather and landlords, America's dream of "free land" didn't necessarily apply in the MidWest.
 
Characters: Rich. Literally. Carl Richards is a nobleman from Germany in disguise. Announcing his noble birth wouldn't sit well with the settlement of oppressed Germans who left living under noblemen's thumbs in the Homeland. I really appreciated how Jody showed Carl's weakness without making him lack manliness. That's a trick in itself when you're a writer. His passion to care for the heroine didn't jump him to hero status as he cursed the plow, the farm, and everything he didn't love about this new land. Annalisa is a sweet heroine. Her background of oppression carried into a tradition of marriage and accustomed to dominating fathers and husbands, she is the proverbial German wife. Speak when spoken to, care for the children, be strong, don't expect grace or love or tenderness.
 
Romance: Carl is a fairy tale to Annalisa. An engima. His gentleness, his care, his tenderness seems more like a cruel trick and she expects it to dissolve. The chemistry between Carl and Annalisa is poignant and strong. Love it. Lots of romance, purity, and hope in their relationship, even when the odds are against them.
 
Plot: The main thrust of this novel is survival and finding grace in a land where very little abounds. Of course, there's an antagonist, but in the end, he's not the primary focus. However, even without a suspense plot or high tension, Jody keeps this book moving. There are NO slow points. I never once wished it would speed up. She keeps this story pacing and you'll stay up til the wee hours to finish it. :)
 
I loved it. You will too!! So enter to win your own copy--not my copy, but one I'll ship to you via Amazon 'cause this one goes on my 'keeper' shelf :)
 
What's your favorite Hedlund novel and why?
  
Winner of LAST WEEK'S Book giveaway Heiress of Winterwood is: VICKI MARNEY!!
______________________________________


Jaime Wright -

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. I keep hearing this one is wonderful. I actually haven't read anything by her yet. I'm checking out her work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have to read her stuff! So good!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of her books yet and would love to win this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read this one! I've loved all her books so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and see you're the best plug for this book, becuase you're not a historical junkie! :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by her, yet! It's high time I change this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of Jody's books but would love to win! heatherdaygilbert (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks for the review--sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You've not read Jody's stuff, Heather? :)

      Delete
  6. I've read all of Jody's books and enjoyed them all. I'd love to win her latest. susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, Amanda, Linsey, and Heather--let me just say you've missed out if you haven't discovered Jody yet. So glad you heard of her here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to have more free time, too many great books to read! Luckily summer break is coming...that'll help! Definitely gonna put this one on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer break ... I remember those :P lol

      Delete
  9. Would love to win this book!!! I have read her Shaker's series. Jody Hedlund is a great writer.

    Linda Ortiz
    strgth4yu@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't gotten the chance to read any of her books yet either, but I want this one so bad I can TASTE it. I've been staring at the cover on my Facebook sidebar for days. Fingers crossed because my book budget is less than zero right now.
    Great review! Can't WAIT to read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Facebook sidebars -- so effectively annoying! LOL Hope you get a chance to read this. you'll love it!

      Delete
  11. My great-grandparents were German farmers in southeastern Michigan. :) I guess I need to read this book! I don't believe I've read any of Jody's books... so this would be a good one to start with. twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! You'd probably REALLY enjoy this book then, Pegg!

      Delete
  12. Jaime, your review is so interesting. I do feel like I'm missing out, since I haven't read any of Jody's books. A Noble Groom sounds like a really good novel. Thank you for offering an opportunity to win a copy. may_dayzee (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Kay, and you ARE missing out :) You'll love Jody's books once you get one. You'll be hooked!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)