Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Report: Forsaken Dreams by MaryLu Tyndall

Complex and interesting plot.
Layered characters.
Fateful, triumphant romance.
Book cover: A+ wow-factor.

Setting: In the wake of post Civil War, thousands of disillusioned Southerners chose to immigrate to Brazil to start a new life rather than face the Reconstruction of their devastated homeland. Tyndall's story begins at Charleston harbor and ends at the voyage's destination of Rio De Janeiro. It had been advertised that in Brazil, there was plenty of cheap farmland for sugercane and cotton, as well as continued tolerance for slavery.

Plot: The first in her series, Escape to Paradise, Tyndall sets the stage with a cast of characters chosen for their skills to form a new Brazilian colony, who much reminded me of the varied and suspicious characters in a game of Clue, or a classic Who-Done-It stage play. Along the voyage, this cast of would-be colonists are rife with post war sins, mistakes, and wounds that both pit them against one another and bind them together. Stuck together on a vessel of survival, they face many trials that test them and teases the reader's curiosity about how they will overcome such odds.

Romance: Eliza Crawford and Colonel Blake Wallace have seen enough death to last a life time--she as a Civil War nurse for the South, and he as a Confederate Colonel. The attraction between the two sparks the moment the voyage begins, but secrets and post war emotional wounds threaten to drive the two apart. Eliza can't help but wonder how different her life might have been had she not married her late husband, Stanton Watts, a general in the Northern army. Seen as a traitor for marrying a Northerner, after the war she is rejected in the North and the South and seeks the shores of Brazil to start a new life where her marriage can remain secret and her loyalties aren't questioned. As the voyage traverses the globe, Eliza and Blake's wounds and pasts fatefully intersect, entangling them in a web of love and bitterness. Tyndall's story of their triumph is adventurous and sweet that weaves a spiritual theme of forgiveness deep into the very heart of this romance.

Bio: A Christy Award finalist and best-selling author, MaryLu Tyndall dreamt of tall ships and swashbuckling pirates during her childhood years on Florida’s Atlantic Coast. She holds a degree in Math and worked as a software engineer for fifteen years before testing the waters as a writer. Now, with over a dozen novels published, she continues to pen her romantic tales while managing a home, husband, six adult kids, and three cats who have decided that her keyboard is the best place to sleep!  She believes that without popcorn and chocolate, life would not be worth living, and her sole motivation in life is to bring others closer to God. For more information on MaryLu and her books, please visit her website at http://www.marylutyndall.com or her blog at http://crossandcutlass.blogspot.com/ or you can find her on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/MaryLu-Tyndall-Swashbuckling-Romance/175344859169475

For a chance to win a free copy (continental U.S. & Canada only), leave a comment here or on Facebook:
I'm happy to introduce you to MaryLu. This is the first time I've read her work.
If you've read her works before, please list your favorites in the comments.
If you've never read her works before, do ship stories intrigue and hook your interest?
Do you like Civil War stories?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter









41 comments:

  1. What a well-written and well thought out review, Anne!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!! :-) I'm sharing this with all my social media. Bless you and have a great Lord's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryLu, and blessings to your Lord's Day as well... :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great review! I haven't read any of MaryLu's books yet, but I definitely plan to do so. I do enjoy Books about and set in the Civil War era. Thank you for offering an opportunity to win a copy of Forsaken Dreams.
    may_dayzee (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Don't enter me in the giveaway since I already have the book, but I shared on Facebook :) So glad you read MaryLu's newest novel! I hope you will read others. All of her books are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah!!! You're such a sweetie! <3

      Delete
  4. MaryLu is one of my favorite author's! I have read almost all of her books. Redemption was my first favorite of hers, and I looked forward to every book of hers after that. My current favorite series of hers is the Surrender Series with Surrender the Dawn being my absolute favorite!! I eagerly look forward to reading her newest book!!

    Amanda Strader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the ideas for more good reading Amanda. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Amanda!! Thank you so much for the kind words!! So, I take it you liked Luke Heaton?? wink wink...

      Delete
    3. Hi MaryLu!! I loved Luke from the very beginning!! I could not wait for his and Cassandra's book! Definitely love him lol!! Anne they are definite must reads, my top 5!!

      Delete
  5. I love Civil War stories - haven't read any of MaryLu's books & would love to win a copy of this one! Thanks for the opportunity!

    bonnieroof60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Bonnie!! I hope you win!

      Delete
  6. I would LOVE to be in the drawing for this book. I've been waiting so long! What a lovely blog you have here, and this was a great review.

    debraemarvin at the big yahoo in the sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are a loyal fan of MaryLu. Thanks for stopping by the blog, come anytime! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am a big fan. I had gone for awhile and not found a wow-factor book in the Inspirational industry. Then, I read The Falcon and the Snowman and said WAHOO! I'd missed those classic historical romances since switching to the CBA.

      And I happen to be super geek for naval/ships stories. After I made a comment, I realized I hadn't answered your question. I did pop over and follow you ladies on Twitter, and sign up for the blog by email. Glad to have found you.

      Delete
    3. Hi Debra! How nice to see you here!! A super geek for Naval ship stories. Wow I didn't know that about you. I thought I was the only one. LOL. Thanks for dropping by.. hope you win too! :-)

      Delete
  7. I've only read Veil of Pearls and I really liked it!! I am looking forward to reading this book!

    marissamehresman(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marissa! So glad you like Veil of Pearls!

      Delete
  8. MaryLu is such an amazing lady! I just adore her. My favorite by her is her Surrender to Destiny Series, especially Surrender the Heart. The whole series is waiting for me to read it again. I also have a very fond place in my heart for her Legacy of the King’s Pirate series.

    Thanks for the giveaway! emmamalissa(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it that everyone is sharing their favorites!

      Delete
    2. Emma... you're such a sweetheart! Thanks for coming by.. I had no idea my Destiny series was your favorite! :-)

      Delete
  9. I love anything historical Fiction and ship stories are of interest. Thanks to Julie Lessman for sharing this giveaway with us on facebook. If Julie says its good, it must be very good.
    Would love to win it and read it for myself !

    Blessings
    Linda Finn
    faithfulacres7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet of Julie!! :) Yes, Jaime and I historical geeks for sure!

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda!! Julie is one of my BFFs! I just adore her and her writing! Thanks for dropping by!! :-)

      Delete
  10. This is an unusual take on Civil War stories. I'd love to win this!

    susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the history is truly fascinating! I never learned about this in school, so when a reader mentioned it at a conference I was attending, I looked it up and was awestruck that so many Southerners left after the war.. and especially that their descendants still celebrate American holidays in Brazil. :-)

      Delete
  11. I would love to read Mary Lu's latest book. I have been so busy with college/mothering/wife/ foster parenting/church/piano etc....don't have time to read much....But....I have the summer off!!! Time to read!!Wahoo! I don't have a favorite. I LOVE THEM ALL! I've not read a book that I don't like! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peggy!! Life does get busy, doesn't it?

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the chance to win one of MaryLu's books. I haven't read any of her yet and I'm looking forward to adding her to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Lu Veil of Pearls is the latest book of yours I have read and I am very happy about that. I would love to have the chance to win your latest book!! I love the way you write - straight to the heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that so much! Veil of Pearls is one of my personal favorites.. besides my pirate series. :-)

      Delete
  14. This sounds like a book I'd really enjoy, so adding my comment here! Chris (in Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! You made it!! Good to see you here!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for reviewing this book which looks to be a very interesting read. Carol Crawford cscrawf@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really enjoyed Tyndall's books so far - I love the pirate themes! That said, I think "Veil of Pearls" is the single book of hers that I would choose as my favorite. "Forsaken Dreams" is definitely on my wishlist, and it would be even better if I could win it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings Kym!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Veil of Pearls!

      Delete
  17. Wow--what an interesting plotline and I love the "Clue characters" reference. Count me in! heatherdaygilbert (at) gmail (dot) com!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)