Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Introducing: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries...Who Knew?

So my daughter is home from college for spring break this week. She knows I am a die hard Pride and Prejudice fan!

"Hey mom," she says, "you have heard of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries haven't you?"
Ah--no <insert sarcasm in an excuse mehello? tone>.

So, I trot immediately to Google and stumble on the amazing masterpiece of social media in the form of a modernly twisted  P&P vlog, and I see why it "went viral mom!"



Basically, TLBD is a video blog <vlog> adaptation of P&P. And since P&P is public domain AND loved by millions, it was a perfect medium to trial Hank Green and Bernie Su's idea.
Click here for the Press Release introduction

The Facebook page alone has over 28,000 followers: Lizzie Bennet on FB.   Last I checked that was viral level mathematics! Also over 28,000 followers on Twitter, and over <hello?!> 27,000,000 <mill> video views!! <heellllllooo?!> 

You Tube Episode

So, for anyone who loves P&P, wonders about video blogging, is freaked out by the viral numbers for TLBD, consider this your introduction! 

Check it out and tell me what you think?
Had you already heard of this?
Love it? or feel like it tarnishes your traditional idea of P&P?
Would Jane Austen roll over in her grave, or is she amazed at the savvy social wit of TLBD?

(disclaimer--I did not preview all the episodes)


5 comments:

  1. Ummm, yeah. I found those and started watching...and kept watching! I watched all of them, and am finally caught up after a month of several per day. :) I like them! I like discussing them with friends on Twitter! I like the twists and turns and how well they "follow" the original while making it modern. And while the 1995 version of P&P will always be my favorite...this wasn't bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a friend of mine, who is in college, mention this to me. I'm going to have to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen these at all! I totally need to check them out! Great post, Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)