Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Interview with Joanne Bischof


For those of you who haven't met Joanne Bischof, you're in for a super duper fun treat! She's one of my favorite authors and blogging besties! The fact we live states apart makes little difference. We both raise our mugs of hot liquid goodness and SALUTE! Not really. We don't salute. That's just weird. We'd probably hug. But that could be awkward. Are you touchy-feely, Joanne? Me? Not so much. A hug's okay though. Maybe. Well, we'd smile. Yes. So, welcome to our morning coffee chat with Joanne. Thanks for being here and I'm going to launch right in.

 So, tell us -- when did you know you first wanted to be a writer?

I always had my nose in a book and my head in the clouds. Growing up, I was 1 part Jo March, 1 part Beatrix Potter and 1 part Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was always writing, drawing, and living with my imagination in the past. Being a writer was always my normal. I can never remember ever wanting to be anything else. I am SO thankful that God made that dream come true!


 What made you pick Appalachian Romance as your theme/setting for your books?


You know, it just sort of happened one day. When the idea for Lonnie and Gideon’s story came to me, I knew it was about a young woman who would yearn for her husband’s love. In that moment, I was listening to bluegrass music and it just seemed like the right fit that Gideon would play the mandolin. The story sort of took off to the Appalachians and ever since then, it’s been my absolute favorite place to write about.

"Though My Heart is Torn" is book two in Gideon and Lonnie's story, what is the main spiritual thread that you hope readers can glean from it?


The spiritual thread running through the story really centers around the idea of our faith being tested (Luke 22: 31-34). Gideon’s faith is young in the first book, and he relates a lot of his connection to the Lord with his love for Lonnie. She is the “good” part of him and he doesn’t see how he could be good on his own. So when they must part, Gideon’s sort of scrambling to find that baby faith that was within him and he’ll struggle for most of the book. This thread will continue into the third story, “My Hope is Found,” as he continues to discover that his faith can be placed in no one other than the Lord. While Lonnie can help him and encourage him in his faith, it’s ultimately a relationship between him and Christ.

Who was your favorite secondary character in the book and why?

Oh, great question! My favorite secondary character was probably Jack Allan. He’s Cassie’s kid brother and sort of follows Gideon around wherever he goes. Even when the story wades into deep, emotional waters, Jack was always around for a bit of comic relief. I know as the writer, I was glad to have him on hand and I hope readers will too.

I love the tag line "Gideon O'Riley has two wives -- but he doesn't know it" - sheesh! How crazy is that? How did you come up with the idea of a second wife to interrupt the love Gideon and Lonnie just found?

I know! It really is crazy, isn’t it!? I remember sending those words to my agent when she was considering taking on my project and it must have done the trick, because we sent those exact words onto my publisher when pitching them the idea. It’s been so fun to see that tagline printed on the final book and know that it’s come full circle from the very beginning.

This is a great question! When we first see Gideon in “Be Still My Soul” he’s a womanizer who’s only interested in one thing. Throughout the first book, he overcomes that, falling deeply in love with his wife and as I began to ponder where the story could go from there. It hit me that the most challenging thing he could face at that point was to be torn from the wife that he loved and forced to reunite with his old flame. It really puts him in a difficult spot! Which is always fun to see how a character works through a situation. The more challenging it is, often the more rewarding the outcome is.

 Coffee or tea?

Tea is the love of my heart, but coffee is becoming much needed with all these late-night writes. I like it with way too much cream! ;)

Chocolate or Strawberries?

Most definitely chocolate. But I adore strawberries. Maybe the two together!

What three things would you want with you if you were stranded in the Appalachians? (aside from your Bible, cell phone, and Kindle ;)


Let’s see…a sleeping bag, some matches and, my handsome, rugged mountain man—my hubby. He could build a fire and a shelter and hunt food and look really cute while doing it all! Great, now I actually want to BE stranded in the Appalachians!

So cool! Joanne, I'll be doing a book report of your new book on Friday. I really hope your readers and NEW readers can come back and visit. PLUS, EVERYONE! Joanne is giving away a copy of "Though My Heart is Torn"! Check back Friday to enter for the drawing.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jaime Wright -

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)
 


17 comments:

  1. Shout out to Joanne, my fellow Mumford & Sons lover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back atcha! Yay, M&S's! I think I will be playing some of them today while I write. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the tagline for this book, Joanne! Talk about a hook! :) Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks Jessica! I posted it on my facebook banner last week and I was so worried...it's pretty out there, lol. ;)

      Delete
  3. Though my Heart is Torn is a moving story. So moving that a reader needs to have tissues handy, because Joanne's tale has the power to wring tears from even the most stoic. When you finish this book, I guarantee you'll be one of those, like me, who is eagerly awaiting the final book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keli, I'm so glad that Though My Heart is Torn moved you. That is always my hope with these stories! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. I was able to read an advanced copy of this book and it was so deeply moving. I read voraciously but after "Though my Heart is Torn" I had to take a break to digest and review in my mind this beautiful tale. That is the testimony of a good book in my mind - you have to have those days for an "after-glow" to reflect on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful. I don't think I could tell you that enough. Thank you for your encouragement. You are so dear!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for having me today, Ann and Jaime! This is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quote my favorite book, "That's Anne with an "e"" Oops! ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great interview! The last question and answer made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Shows you how good my survivor skills are ;)

      Delete
  7. Yay, awesome to find my friend Joanne here today! :) I loved this book...it totally sucked me in and I stayed there for days afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, oh wow! I love hearing Joanne's heart! The more, I would like to hear her on the mandolin! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)