Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Top Fiction Reads of 2012

Well, I've done it! I've compiled JAIME'S Top Reads for 2012! :) Check them out and add them to your 2013 TBR pile along with all the other goodies heading our way this year!

Best New Historical Author: Joanne Bischof
Her Appalachian romance rekindled warm memories of Catherine Marshall's classic Christy but with a writing voice decidedly unique to Joanne. I loved it -- you will too. Book #2 comes out in 2013 - can't wait!


Best Historical Romance: Karen Witemeyer
It has a blacksmith in it. 'Nuf said. Ok -- and a librarian. Can you get any better than that?


Best Regency: Julie Klassen
You know, I'm not even 100% if this was a 2012 release or 2011--but I read it in 2012 and I tell you ... if you love Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, you will love, love, LOVE ANYTHING by Julie Klassen!


Best Humorous Historical Romance: DeeAnne Gist
She's funny, her characters are witty, snarky, sarcastic and romantic. Heavy on the romance. She does great kissing scenes, if you're into that -- although not racy so kudos to DeeAnne for staying Inspirational friendly. Her books are quirky and I devour them in a night!


Best New Series: It's a TIE! Amanda Cabot & Ann Shorey
Both authors write SOLID historical romance and heavy on the historical. You truly DO step back into time in their books, yet their characters are lovable, relate-able, and the stories get better with each book they write!


Best Historical Romance by and author I know: Erica Vetsch & Jody Hedlund
yes, I know them both personally, but this isn't a random plug for a poorly written novel. THESE GIRLS ARE MY MENTORS (they don't know that, but they are). Their novels are stellar, great stories, fantastic history, yummy romance ... books you'll read and won't put down until the last page!



Best Historical Romantic Suspense: Elizabeth Camden
I don't know if she's technically labelled as that genre, but Elizabeth knocks it home. It's the third book -- still a standalone -- yet all three books link one main character throughout. She's fantastic. And holy history! If you love history it's chalk full of creative historical facts. Visit the opium trade, a Bostonian harbor, an egotistically charming hero and more!



Best Warm Romance: Diann Hunt
I loved Diann's book. I didn't see it receive a lot of publicity, but Love Letters in the Sand is warm, embracing, and sentimental. Set in the 1950's, Diann's characters bring back the warmth of the golden era of America right after the War. Love it - read it - share it - you won't regret!


Best Historical Romantic Suspense Series: Laurie Alice Eakes
Darn it if this woman isn't the writing queen. She pumps out books like no tomorrow and they're all fantastic! I thoroughly enjoy every word of Laurie's Midwife series and can't wait for 2013's book #3!


Best Victorian Era Historical: Olivia Newport
I loved Olivia's book. It's genuine, unique, engaging and full of silk, ruffles, Victorian plumes, and class.



Best Debut Contemporary Romance Author: Krista Phillips
I will never think of a sandwich the same way. Krista is witty, funny and her characters keep you engaged from page 1 to the end. You'll love everything about this book. She reminds me of an up and coming Kristin Billerbeck!



Best Long-time Fave: Sarah Sundin
I love WWII. I stink at writing it. So I read it! Sarah is a walking history book AND she informed me this year that pharmaceuticals have been known to prescribe caffeine -- hence -- Sarah is on my favorite list for more reasons than just writing AMAZING WWII romance historicals. Her latest book #1 of a series indicates that her writing is only growing and getting better. Read it!


Best Holiday Book: Anita Higman
I love to read holiday books around -- the holidays! What book put me in the Christmas spirit? Anita Higman's topped the cake. It was sentimental, Bing Crosby-ish, roasted chestnut delight. And it's a re-read, so don't think now that 2012 has passed you don't get to enjoy it!

Best Debut Contemporary Suspense: Dani Pettrey
OH MY GOSH. I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. The suspense was fantastic, the romance to die for, and the history intertwined satisfied even a die-hard historical reader. So if you like contemporary romances with an edge of suspense, you NEED to introduce yourself to Dani's book before Book #2 comes out in 2013!




29 comments:

  1. Great list. I've read almost half I think. Hugs and Happy New Year!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back and add the other half to your TBR pile :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a great list. I need to do so more reading this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could read all year and still not read everything I want to! :)

      Delete
  3. Great books! I've read some and most of the others are "in the stack" waiting for their turn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stack is about to touch the ceiling now!

      Delete
  4. I love how you broke it down! I've read a few of those and liked them a lot. I also have some of them on kindle that I've yet to tackle, but plan to soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn - I forgot my TBR pile on my Kindle! Sheesh -- I'm never gonna catch up!

      Delete
  5. I've read a lot of these and totally agree!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I read Be Still My Soul - loved it. I have many of these on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be Still My Soul was an amazing debut book!

      Delete
  7. So honored to be on your list! Amazing books here by authors that I admire. A few I haven't read yet and plan to! Oh, and I have a package for you that is going out today! :) Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read a couple of these books - Be Still my Soul - beautiful and deeply moving; and Against the Tide - a wonderful read! I love these lists of favorite reads it helps me build my TBR list. Blessings to you with this new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need at least a four week vacation to catch up on my TBR pile :)

      Delete
  9. Jaime, you always make me smile! Not only did you include With Every Letter (and Tom & Mellie are touched, by the way), but your sense of humor always cracks me up.

    One vial of intravenous caffeine coming right up, no whip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for including me in such a stellar list, Jaime! I raise my coffee cup to you! Hugs, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaime -- I'm honored to be on your list. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for book #3 since I just finished book #2 and look forward to our review next month!

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much, Jaime. So honored to be on this list with these amazing authors. So many books here I loved and a few I haven't read are definitely going onto my TBR! Giggling over Sarah's vile of caffeine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee - love your double post :) need an IV too? ;)

      Delete
  13. So honored to be included amongst such amazing authors. Thank you so much, Jaime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Jaime! Just what I needed to help me feel better. I've been tackled by the 'flu this week. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)