Monday, January 21, 2013

Made To Meet Our Maker

Okay, I'll admit that I've been overtaken by the Dowton Abbey virus. 
Infected with Intrique.

Maggie Smith's character, the Lady Grantham has some killer lines that make me laugh and wonder. Leave it to the Brits to state things so succinctly and with such great wit. What is it that has made DA such a craze? Don't you wonder?

Perhaps Lady Grantham said it best with this line:  "She's a lady's maid, she lives for intrigue." That is that most all of us feel like commoners--we would cast ourselves as the lady's maid, the downstairs staff. Our lives are mostly full of tasks of life to keep our lives rolling and humming right along much like that of the downstairs staff, thinking all the time that it would be heaven to live like the Granthams.

And without a little intrigue we feel--well, just common.

But we were made for an uncommon purpose--to meet our Maker. 
The downstairs staff of DA--the common man, common woman watches the upstairs world with secret hope of rising above the circumstance they were either born into or made of their lives. And don't we know that feeling? But INTRIGUE inspires HOPE that things could be different. That a light could shine into the doldrums of drudgery and poverty of life or of the soul. INTRIGUE sparks a thought that the STORY might twist and turn out a little less predictably. INTRIGUE HOOKS us from the ordinary into the extraordinary.

Webster's defines INTRIGUE as a secret scheme, the practice of engaging in secret schemes, or a clandestine or hidden love affair. Juicy right? Certainly not boring. Well, I can think of ONE author of the most INTRIGUING  love affair of all time, imprinted in our very nature--HIS handprint on our DNA. And when you read a love story, watch Downton Abbey and see the scheme unfolding, it hooks you in--because we were made to meet our maker, and to fall deeply in love with Him--as He is with us. And when we see a glimmer of this theme, this scheme--it interrupts our commonness and--we love it! We want to believe it.

Psalm 139:
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?"    "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

Can you see the imprint of His INTRIGUE in your life?





4 comments:

  1. LOVED this insight today! Hey when you can write devotions based on Downton Abbey, you should never ever feel guilty for ignoring other responsibilities while watching it! Not that you do, but I did. lol I should write a devotion as not to feel guilty! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome thought. I love that we have access to God like that...and that our purpose in life is to know him more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Lindsay. We just have to get out of our own way sometimes.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)