Monday, January 28, 2013

God ... Just CHILL!

I love this picture of my daughter. It's nothing fancy--the epitome of bad photography. Monkey-Face was an early 2 when I took it. A quick snap, looking down at her from my cell phone, as she traversed the wilds of our gravel driveway. Intent and focused, too little to go it alone, but unaware of my looming presence as she--in her a-typical fashion--was determined to be independent.

She's slowly learning that she's not big enough to do everything. But it's hard. When she climbed onto the counter to reach the "cheesies" on the top shelf in the highest cupboard ... when she jumped from the top stair of thirteen steps and assumed I was going to catch her (I did -miraculously) ... when she has to go potty, when she has to cut her sandwich, when she wants to climb a tree... danger lurks and she doesn't care--a whit.

My mom was trying to help her with something the other day and she gave Monkey-Face a kind suggestion. Without pause and in her classic palm-forward in your face gesture, Monkey-Face states: "HON, just CHILL". (she's barely 3).

I love how we go through life like my Monkey-Face. Overconfident, cocky, self-assured ... and when we plummet from whatever the height, we finally look up. For help. For comfort. For reassurance. But when we're self-assured, we state, "GOD, just CHILL". 

Funny, how when Monkey-Face went flying across the bathroom floor after she took off from the bathtub soaking wet and ignored my instructions to "don't run", and then whacked her head on the door frame when she threw it back in a long wail, that she found no comfort in herself, no joy in her confidence, no reason in her circumstances.

She needed the powers that be. So I lifted her, cradled her, explained her folly to her ... and strangely enough ... she repeated it again yesterday. Only this time she remained upright because right before her wet feet hit the bathroom floor she stopped and giggled and said, "mommy, I don' wanna go flyin'!"

So... don't go flyin' today ... LISTEN to the still small voice. BE STILL and know that HE is God ... and you, frankly, are not.

10 comments:

  1. God also reminded me yesterday that when I feel my efforts are so tiny that I question their impact--that He is at work above and beyond what I can imagine. That I am still to obey that still small voice, it is He who will water the seeds and tend the soil, it is He who will breath life into that seed--not I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, so true. He is God, and I am most certainly not! I have two of those try it yourself kinds too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda nice to know we don't need to play god, right?

      Delete
  3. I had a "Be still" day yesterday. I needed it. I was made to take it. Nuf said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my son used to say "bring a chance".Instead of "take a chance". We all still say that to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is such a careful, cautious little guy--so our house is just the opposite. We're always encouraging him to take more risks! Poor boy. He's a little too much like his mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - yes, my daughter definitely inherited the double-whammy of Daddy's no fear and Mommy's "I've got the power!" attitudes :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)