Thursday, January 3, 2013

Coffee and Funny One-Liners

Mornin' coffee drinkers (and tea and hot cocoa aficionados) ... This morning's brew is Kona coffee ($40/lb) It's good -- hardly worth $40 a lb, but still good! :) Enjoying it in my Venti mug with some Amaretto creamer while thinking about one-liners. You writers know what I'm talking about. The question is asked "What's your book about?" and you have to have that perfect one line pitch to quip back confidently?

I'm writing my one-liner. It's been recently deemed "clunky" by an agent and I love her for her honesty. So I logged into Netflix to check out movie one-liners. Here's some of the best of the best:

"Having secretly fled to a base on the moon at the end of World War II, Nazis put the final touches on their plan to launch an invasion of Earth."

"After contracting polio from a venomous werewolf bite, FDR won't stop at single-handedly end the Great Depression and prohibition. "

"Life in a quiet village rolls slowly from one day to the next with little excitement -- until a young photographer named Rita arrives"

"Marion and Mingus go from perfect domesticity to waking nightmare when her family comes from France to New York for the weekend."

"Eugene is a superhero. Or at least he plays one at birthday parties. When Eugene's nemesis gets a job playing a rival, they compete for the same girl."

... the moral of this post? There is hope for your one-liners! WRITERS UNITE!

5 comments:

  1. Werewolves and FDR?? Oh come ON!!!!
    (I think I lost my chance for the one-liner analysis when my FB got yet ANOTHER nasty spam virus.)

    Nazis on the moon?? Oh my word!1

    Here's one ..."Kona coffee drinker discovers the superiority of Earl Grey and curtsies to her Canadian friend". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the one liner -- curtsy and a bow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best thing about one-liners...they can be revised. ;) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks.
    Funny Pick Up Lines

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)