Thursday, December 20, 2012

Snow Day = Coffee Day = HAPPY HOLIDAY!

Admission? Okay, so I'm writing this Wednesday night and it'll post Thursday morning (this morning). I'm going to bed with anticipation. We're supposed to receive 17" of snow. YESSIREEBOB! This Wisconsinite is so excited. Here's what I love about snow days:

1. Snow Days. Calling in to work is practically a no brainer. And trust me, in Wisconsin you NEED 17" to justify calling it a "snow day". 6" just doesn't kick it as a reason to call in. Practically anyone used to driving in snow can make it to work with 6" on the ground.

2. Coffee Days. There is no better morning than standing by your patio door looking out on a winter wonderland. The crystals, the glow of white, the shimmer of snowflakes, the miracle of each unique flake out performing the other ... sigh ... and holding a big mug of coffee, rich with the scent of nutty warmth. Gosh I can't wait.

3. Holidays. In anticipation of this weekend and next week, snow will be a welcome sight. It's been a boring December so far. The 2" on the ground is nice, but not enough. I want to snowshoe through my woods, build snowmen with my kids, make snow angels with my daughter ... Yes ... it's coming.

Here's to this morning, and snow, and ... peace!

What's your favorite part about a blizzard?

10 comments:

  1. No obligations and snuggling in with a good cup of coffee or hot chocolate. A great day for baking and having a pot of soup or spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. Not having to call in because clinic was closed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--hot chocolate!! And No clinic!!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't know...I've never been in one. ;)

    Enjoy your snow! I'll enjoy my sunshine. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really try it sometime Lindsay! I remember the Blizzard of '77--we were snowed in at home for a whole week. My dad had to use the neighbor's snow mobile to get groceries. We had 3 foot drifts--a kids dream!

      Delete
  3. Snow days are meant to do nothing, but play with my kids...watch movies, pop popcorn, play games!! Wonderful days to make memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jerilyn! I might need to get that homemade spaghetti sauce recipe from you. I have a husband who is heartily sick of Prego :)

    Linsay ... oh, how much you miss!

    Melissa ... POPCORN! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and my favorite thing? Go out in the night, while it's just coming down like crazy and play in the snow or walk to my mom's. It's so insulating, sounds are so muffled. The whole world seems different and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A day off from work, a book, and hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)