Monday, December 10, 2012

Do You See What I See?

Everywhere we look, we are overwhelmed with the shear darkness of this world. But are you looking for a star? 
For a light? 
Do you see what I see?
Turn on the evening news and you hear about shootings, fatal accidents, robberies, job loss, poor economic outlook, fiscal calamity, and political rhetoric that all serve to snuff the living hope out of your soul and leave you full of worry, anxiety, and despair.

In fact, the true sadness is that I don't even have to turn on the evening news to hear these things. 
Do you hear what I hear?

Isaiah 9:2-7
New International Version (NIV)
 The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.

with permission: www.freedigitalphotos.net
Are you looking for the star of old that promised a redeemer?
What are your eyes on?
No wonder the magi decided it was worth the risk to make a trek to find such hope. They might have risked peril to find baby Jesus and offer him precious gifts. But when the thing you reach for is greater than the thing you risk, perhaps the light can shine ever brighter?

Sometimes when the tree needles are dried up and falling onto the carpet, the presents are all unwrapped, the trash bag is overflowing with discarded wrappings, and the kitchen is littered with leftovers to clean up--I confess there is a small part of my heart that feels a little empty. Don't get me wrong, I love the traditions and memory making and watching the kids have fun. Any emptiness is only a small part of me that mistakenly believed the traditions were what would save me and fill me up for the year. Or that push, shove, grab feeling you get when you shop sometimes.

But no. Don't let the tinsel fake-ness of secularized Christmas leave you empty.

Doing dishes for the thousandth time, I glance at the star on the top of our tree as it sags at a 45-degree angle, and whisper a prayer for real  hope. Hope everlasting. Love that will truly redeem and deliver. 

It was never anything but the Christ-light that was ever supposed to fill us with this hope everlasting. 

Isaiah 9:6
New International Version (NIV)
 For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
So  what  are you looking for?
Do  you  see  what  I  see?

Where have you seen the Light?

3 comments:

  1. Say a prayer for real hope. Thanks for that encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the Light - He blinds me somedays and those are the best days EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, praying for hope that lifts people up Lisa!
    Amen Jaime!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)