Friday, December 21, 2012

Book Report: Against the Tide, by Elizabeth Camden

 Well, it's Book #3 for the Jaime Christmas Book Bundle and Book #3 for Author, Elizabeth Camden. I have had the privilege of reading all three of Elizabeth's books at her request and I will say this: "Against The Tide" is definitely her best yet!

So, Elizabeth is indeed a historian. Really, this book is thick with historical detail about the Nineteeth Century opium trade. This is one of the things I love about Camden's novels ... the history. BUT! For those of you who hate history like I despise mathematics, do not be faint of heart! This is not a history book. It is a novel. And, I believe even those who aren't huge on historicals will enjoy this one.

Here's why....

Characters: Lydia is an orphaned young woman who will have an intelligence level I will never attain. Her ability to learn languages makes her character unique in many aspects and sets her aside from the proverbial historical independant woman. I love that Elizabeth Camden has made her heroine spunky and independant while choosing a one-hundred-percent unique career with the U.S. Navy of all places. No mail order brides, seamstresses, or school teachers here folks. Nuh. Uh. And don't get me started on Bane -- the "bane" of Lydia's existence -- his over-confident charming arrogance had me at "hello" (although I believe we did see snippets of him in past Camden writings-- if my memory serves me right). He reminds me of that know-it-all type who can do anything and has no weakness - anywhere - except when it comes to Lydia.

Setting: The drug world of the 1800's. And we thought we had a meth issue! Talk about drugs. Opium to be specific. Who knew Americans tanked their infants up on drugs and orphanages used drugs to subdue orphans. Now that's a new take on discipline. I'll pass. But really, it's intriguing, suspenseful, deadly and the greatest base for a GREAT novel!

Romance: Thick. Did you ramp it up this time, Elizabeth? Cause I don't remember the romance being this gripping. And it's not like the two main characters are macking on each other. Seriously. I think it's the tension and the thick attraction in spite of the odds. I don't know, honestly. I can't wrap my head around what makes this romance so ... gripping. I think I need to reread the novel before I give it away.

SO! that being said, yes, I'm giving this copy away in my Christmas Bundle. We need a well-rounded bundle so now we have an Amish, a Contemporary, and now a Historical. Isn't that the greatest?!? Here's how it'll work -- leave comments, like our Facebook pages and let us know you did, AND become our blog follower (see the widget to the side) and leave that in your comment too. You'll get an entry for every "like" "follow" and "comment". That's a possibility of four entries just off this one post!

While you wait for the drawing to be announced - DECEMBER 31st! - check out Elizabeth's website. She has a great one! She even has a blog you'll really enjoy.

MERRY CHRISTMAS from Anne and I at the CCC Blog. We'll be taking a break next week and I'll be back on December 31st to announce the winner of the Christmas Bundle.



10 comments:

  1. Well, I'm already friends with you both on facebook, I like all your pages, I follow your blog...I think I'm a groupie! =) This sounds like a fantastic book. Look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE GROUPIES!!! So we'll count your groupie-ness as entries :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really intreeging. I'm tired. So I spel rong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, Jennifer -- the holidays make us all tired! :)

      Delete
  4. This book sounds fascinating. I love historical novels, but I haven't had the opportunity to read one of Elizabeth's yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Elizabeth's writing. She's stellar!

      Delete
  5. Oh, and I liked both of your blogs, Jaime and Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thanks Vickie!! Thanks for stopping by. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to you and to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This particular book is in my "I never dreamed it was this way then" category. It would indeed be a great read and I'd love to win the entire bundle. Thank you for this giveaway and the chance to win some fine reads.

    In Christian Joy,
    Barb Shelton
    barbjan10 at tx dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your name is in the hat Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)