Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mountains or Beach?

When my husband and I want to go on vacation, I want to go to the mountains and he wants to go to the beach. It's a real conundrum.

I want to go to the same tried and true vacation spots we've been to before. I don't want to think, plan, or make decisions on vacation. My idea of fun is to get the same hotel or cabin. Go to the same city or town. Sit by the pool, or climb the same mountain we've always climbed.

I call it nostalgia. Tradition. Relaxation. He calls it boring, same-old-same-old.

He wants to go on adventures. He wants to do new things. See something we've never seen before. Expand our horizons.

He calls it living. Risk taking. Fun. I call it anxiety.

Sometimes this dilemma has kept us from making a decision about vacation and we've just stayed home for a stay-cation. But often we take turns accommodating each other's ideas.

My idea of fun would be traveling to a historical site, visiting the genealogy library or a graveyard of a lost patriot relative. Or Europe. His idea is chartering a deep sea fishing expedition, scuba diving, shelling on a deserted island. Or getting in a cage to see a great white shark (not kidding) on the Australian Great Barrier Reef.

"My mamma told me...." (she is a wise woman), "the very thing that might have attracted you to your spouse is the thing that will someday drive you mad!" LOL.

Well, we all know she wasn't too far from the truth. I'm happy to say that my hubby has taken me to many a graveyard, patriot hunting.

Pic of Hubby & his 10th grt G'pa's stone; an Irish Rev War Patriot

And though I haven't gone scuba diving, I did consent to be dropped on a deserted island to go shelling with my daughter while he took my son deep sea fishing last year. I was even a good sport when we pulled up to a small channel and had to jump in ankle deep water, and walk straight into the jungle on a narrow foot path.
Drop point that looked like the jungle--yikes!

The guide said "just keep walking and you'll make it to the other side of the island." I had panicked thoughts of Survivor, and Jody Foster's OCD moments of leaving her apartment to go to Nim's Island. But alas, we found the other side of the island to be quite beautiful and very worth the discomfort of trying something new.

What we found at the end of the path! (Cayo Costa State Park, FL)


Compromise is essential in love--and on vacation!

(he made me post this pic! fyi-catch&release--it's a shark!)

What compromises have you made in order not to go mad?
Would you go to the beach or mountains?
Do you like a new adventure or the tried and true?

21 comments:

  1. I go pretty much anywhere. I'm always up for adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling we'd travel well together -- and potentially get kicked out of places ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to the beach next month with my family. I can't way. My husband plans to do a lot of fishing. I plan to spend my time on the beach reading--so it works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right with you Julie!! Jessica, my hubbie keeps me well rounded, I do love adventure too, but often have to be coaxed away from the things I love the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year we get to go to a province west of here and spend 2 weeks with ALMOST ALL OF MY HUSBANDS FAMILY.
    Every.
    Single.
    Year.
    I'm sorry, didn't my point come across?
    That's EVERY

    SINGLE

    YEAR.

    Compromise????? The internet, baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Maybe. Skip. A. Year?? Yeah. I know --- TRADITION! :)

      Delete
    2. Skip a year? I would LOVE to!! Or just skip a few in-laws...but not all of them. The MIL and SIL are 86 and 96, we like being around them. Did I mention that most conversations are in sign language?

      Delete
    3. WOW!! Sounds like you have the makings of a great novel/comedy! :) love sign language. It helped so much with my baby before she could talk!

      Delete
    4. My FIL taught each of his 17 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren how to sign "two cookies" and to hit up grandma...
      One for him, one for the child.

      Delete
    5. Ok, that's a little more tradition than even I could hack Jen!
      We do family reunion with my mom's side every OTHER year. We usually tack on 2-3 extra days just for our nuclear family of four to do something of our choosing. But even that is limited by location.

      Delete
  5. I'm usually up to go anywhere. My husband and I have similar travel tastes -- but I'm typically the more adventurous when it comes to shaking up the location. He prefers the tried and true, fly fishing stream, rock climbing location, and the like. I enjoy everything from camping in the recesses of a Montana wilderness to drinking espresso at a piazza in Rome...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. Compromise is so essential. We LOVE the beach and the mountains. We live by Lake Michigan, so that is so fun when during the summer. Kris is more adventurous than me, but I like that because he helps me try new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. If you're by Lake MI and I'm 2 hrs away from Lake MI perhaps we live within driving distance?? Unless you're on teh Michigan side, then nvm ;)

      Delete
    2. Man, we are one the other side. If only it were easier to get across :) I have never seen Lake Superior, but I hear it so beautiful. How about Mackinaw Island? There are stories dying to be written there too. My husbands family in is Iowa so we always have to go all the way around Chicago to get there!

      Delete
    3. Man, we need to get together!! We really aren't that far from one another!

      Delete
  7. I like tried and true, but there are just so many places to see, we haven't been to the same place twice yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend the Fairmont Princess in Scottsdale :)

      Delete
  8. I like the tried and true, but I always find it difficult to recapture the first enchantment with a place...unless it's Lake Superior, which I could return to many, many, many more times without tiring of it.

    At the top of my bucket list right now is to see the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buried my heart in Lake Superior Porupine Mountains years ago. All my novels are set there. Maybe I should branch out ... :/

      Delete
    2. Erica, I've been in 36 states, but never to the Grand Canyon. I did find out the train goes out there and I'm thinking it would be a great family trip!

      And let me be clear, if not bound by budget or schedule, I'd travel until my heart's content. BUT, in reality when limited, or stressed I fall back on the tried and true.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)