Thursday, November 29, 2012

Long Distance Coffee

Ever have a friend whose heart you carry in yours but the miles between you stretch out over several states?

I've had several of those over my lifetime. And I'm sure many of you have too. My dear friend Jayne introduced me to gourmet coffee in 1989. How do I remember that? Because I thought I'd done good to make it all through college and not have succumbed to it. But Irish Creme and French Vanilla over a card game of Hand & Foot with our dear foursome friends were the undoing of my decaffeinated life. I embraced it fully and never looked back!

But when I hear the sound of opening a fresh can of coffee, or the whir of my bean grinder, and the sizzling sounds of dripped coffee beneath my pot and the warmer--and when I smell that awesome smell of fresh brewed coffee--it says "friendships and connections" to me.

And it makes me smile inside. It lifts my heart a notch higher. It puts a little extra joy in my tank. And to think that several of my dear friends are lifting their own cup of jo at the same hour of the day somehow makes the miles seem shorter and fewer. Because we all know that given the choice or the chance--we'd be sitting together sharing our lives over our favorite dark brown brew.

So next time you sit for bit and sip your favorite brew, take the time to send a little cheer across the miles. Say a prayer. Send a text. Write a note. Ask God for a scripture to send to your friends. And remember all the good times.

I think sometimes that there is nothing that holds the power to wound and the power to heal quite like the friendship of women. If you've never watched the movie In Her Shoes, you should. I love the scene where Cameron Diaz reads my favorite e.e.cummings poem. I don't have a bio sister, but this is to all my sisters in Christ: 

(tip up your mug)


[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]

BY E. E. CUMMINGS
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                                      i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
“[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]” Copyright 1952,

So, who do you carry in your heart?
How far away do your long distance friends live?
How have you kept the miles shorter?

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem. I love email threads that go on and on. You know you have a special friends when you have exchanged over a hundreds messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! It's crazy how the virtual world unites people and turns them into longterm friends!

      Delete
    2. Yes, there is a lot of good in online connections too!

      Delete
  2. Love these thoughts (even though I'd be drinking something different than coffee if we hung out in person, LOL)! I think Facebook and texting have made it so much easier to keep in touch with friends who are a long ways away. One of my best friends lives in Virginia (I'm in Arizona), and we try to talk once every few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, a few more hang-outs with me and you'll be a coffee drinker ;)

      Delete
  3. I carry YOU in MY heart, my dear friend!! This morning, I will drink a cup of coffee in the spirit of our friendship!
    Love ya,
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww .... :) :) I love seeing true friendship. It's SUCH a blessing!

      Delete
    2. HUGs Jayne my friend! And why does your coffee always taste better than mine?!
      Sure missed turkey with you this year!
      Love you too!

      Delete
  4. I love my long distance friendships. Technology has made it so much easier to keep in touch despite the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you remember when we used to have pen pals in school? (okay you young chics might not have done that. I feel like Facebook, Pinterest, and blogs, etc has revived the pen pal type thing. I love it.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)