Friday, November 16, 2012

Book Report: A Bride Sews in Needles, CA, by Erica Vetsch

Gag. Choke. Suffocated Laugh. OMIGOSH. I love Erica's novels. I'm not sure she's TRYING to be funny, but she is. Her characters are all so rich and endearing. I mean, put a red wig on me and I think I WAS her main character. Rules -- meant to break right? oopsie ...

Characters: Meghan is a spitting Irish lass with halvsie side of practical, logic-driven Norwegian that makes her a stinker. A lovely stinker. She's so fun, spirited, gutsy, sympathetic, chatty, humorous, confrontational ... Erica, I'm running out of adjectives. Anyway, Meghan does NOT disappoint in her journey to be the BEST EVER Harvey Girl during WWI. Her quest to raise $1000 for the war fund isn't lacking in obstacles either. Enter hero Caleb, a war-coward, running from his duty, one of the few strong young men still at home ... or is he the coward they say he is? He's not the strongest hero I've read in a book, not the self-confident, cocky, sass-back-at-ya hero. Caleb's quiet acceptance of where God has him yet the empty hole inside, makes the reader ache to love him.

Location: Needles, California. Harvey. War Horses. Dust. Locomotives. Ford Automobiles. Indians. Cowboys. Tanks. Loved it.

Time Period:  I was surprised. When I picked up the book I had no idea it WASN'T the a-typical Victorian era historical. Instead, we're plopped right into the middle of the early 1900's and the all-consuming World War Number One. Again, we just don't get the opportunity to read about WWI in a lot of historicals -- so for that reason I loved it. It was new, refreshing, and an untouched piece of history in popular historical fiction.

Spiritual Takeaway:  Erica's approach to "inspirational" is soft but firm. I love how she incorporates faith and answers difficult questions - like the "why me's" of life - but yet she's not in your face about it. Anyone wanting a warm refreshing read can enjoy Spiritual application. And, it's gentle enough to be a great CHRISTMAS PRESENT to all your friends -- even those who don't profess a blatant Christian faith. They won't be offended, and maybe find themselves touch.

BUY A MILLION COPIES FOR CHRISTMAS! It's just. That. Good. Don't believe me? Why not enter to win!! Leave a comment and tell me what your all time favorite read is! (I need to build my own Christmas list too, y'know!)

21 comments:

  1. I'm REALLY looking forward to this book! My all time favourite read? ANYTHING by Jeanette Windle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO!! I've never read Jeanette Windle ... going to Amazon to check her out right now!

      Delete
    2. One of her books, maybe two, take place IN the Amazon!

      Delete
  2. How could I possibly choose a favorite???? But if I had to, it would have to be Redeeming Love or Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers! Amazing stories. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you with your Christmas list. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Melissa. Francine Rivers knocks it out of the park with the Mark of the Lion series and Redeeming Love. Can't be topped. :)

    Thanks for the review on Erica's book! I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica's writing kills me. She's THAT good!

      Delete
  4. Jaime! Thank you so much for your kind words. Meghan and I have quite a bit in common too. :)

    Favorite writers...My all-time "Save These Books First In Case of Natural Disaster" are by Essie Summers, who wrote romances for Harlequin starting in the 60's. I have all of her books, and I love them.

    I'm a big-time fan of Dick Francis mystery/thrillers, and I enjoy Anne Perry's Inspector Monk books. In Christian Fiction, Mary Connealy, Robin Jones Gunn's Sisterchick books, Anne Mateer's Wings of a Dream, and Jenny B. Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both Kathy and Kelly Hake, and Mary Connealy. Right now I'm reading a book by Karen Witemeyer that won the Carol--To Win Her Heart. It's also great, so I'm going to have to read all of hers, too. And of course, I put each and every one of Erica's books on that list of must-haves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Karen Witemeyer's work! Erica I hope I get a chance at the free book too because I haven't read your stuff yet!! I'm glad Jaime introduced us! :)

      Delete
    2. You are so sweet, Diane. I love Mary Connealy too. I have yet to read Karen Witemeyer...I know! I'm so behind. :)

      Anne, I'm so glad Jaime introduced us too! :)

      Delete
  6. Hey...I could use a new light read...I've been heavy in the classics and thick, brain-numbing tomes as of late! :) As far as favorite reads...lately, I've really been getting into some oldie but goodies...Miss Read, Emilie Baker Loring, and especially Elisabeth Goudge. However, a recent book love was The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arim...the sun-lit Italian castle and beautiful garden descriptions drew me in, the restored hope in relationships won me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to hand it to you for reading the thick old stuff. I have a goal to read one new release, then alternate with something classic and old. Right now I'm staring at Anna Karinina wondering if I can tackle it.

      Delete
    2. The most recent classic I've tackled is Jane Eyre. Loved it! :)

      Anna Karinina...I think I'll watch the movie. :D

      Delete
  7. Erica, I love your title and cover. Your heroine sounds like a character I would really enjoy reading. I'm gonna put this book on my Christmas wish list.

    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie! Thanks for dropping by. Happy T-Day this week to you too!!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Vickie! Thanks for putting Meghan and Caleb on your Christmas wish list! :)

      Delete
  8. World War I, yea! Not the war itself, but a novel about that time period. I would love to win this book and review it on my website where I have many novels listed for anyone's Christmas list, not to mention an anthology that that is available this month, November. Check out the link below for suggested Christmas Reads. Blessings, Cass Wessel

    http://www.wordsabouttheword.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to stop by Cass! Hmmm, more ideas for Christmas shopping.....Thanks for stopping by CC&C. Love the name Cass by the way--I have that name in my current WIP! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Cass,

      I just got a Christmas wish-list from my daughter that had lots of books on it. Made my heart happy! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)